Discuss Do I have to register with the ICO in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys, sorry if this has already been brought up but can anyone tell me if I need to register with the ICO, I have received a threatening letter from them warning me to register or possibly get a £4000 fine. Until today I have never heard of them so initially thought it was a scam. I have a limited company and am a one man band. I do not hold or process personally data other than my telephone contacts. There assessment tool is a joke apparently I'm in the same band as a company that earns 600,000 a year LOL. If Only, I'm sick to death with these bolt on business costs , fast getting to the point where I feel like just going on the cards with some firm.

Untill you register they don't know how big your company or business is, so they'll assume the biggest,
And there was plenty of warning about having to register before the deadline.

Notes to Editors:

1. The fees and fines are:
    • Tier 1 – micro organisations. Maximum turnover of £632,000 or no more than ten members of staff. Fee: £40 Fine: £400
    • Tier 2 – SMEs. Maximum turnover of £36million or no more than 250 members of staff. Fee: £60 Fine: £600
    • Tier 3 – large organisations. Those not meeting the criteria of Tiers 1 or 2. Fee: £2,900. Fine £4,000

If you visit the ICO website, you can take a short questionnaire to see, as a small business, if you are exempt. If you are only storing/using certain information for core business purposes such as your suppliers & customers (e.g. as an electrician) then you may well be exempt, with no fee to pay.

Totally agree, I have sent a letter to them complaining about tone and the assumptions made. Really ----ed me off.
[automerge]1582656972[/automerge]
Untill you register they don't know how big your company or business is, so they'll assume the biggest,
And there was plenty of warning about having to register before the deadline.

Notes to Editors:

1. The fees and fines are:
    • Tier 1 – micro organisations. Maximum turnover of £632,000 or no more than ten members of staff. Fee: £40 Fine: £400
    • Tier 2 – SMEs. Maximum turnover of £36million or no more than 250 members of staff. Fee: £60 Fine: £600
    • Tier 3 – large organisations. Those not meeting the criteria of Tiers 1 or 2. Fee: £2,900. Fine £4,000
I have never heard of them before today and have never had any contact form them until my accounted forwarded me their letter. There are acting like some kind of thug clamping firm.
[automerge]1582657064[/automerge]
Totally agree, I have sent a letter to them complaining about tone and the assumptions made. Really ----ed me off.
[automerge]1582656972[/automerge]

I have never heard of them before today and have never had any contact form them until my accounted forwarded me their letter. There are acting like some kind of thug clamping firm.
Does this mean you need to register in order to get an exemption.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could tell you, maybe I've been living in an alternate universe and have only just returned.

Wow, that's quite an impressive feat considering how far reaching it is.
Do you not receive any subscription or advertising emails, communications from your bank, accounts with suppliers etc?

Reply to Do I have to register with the ICO in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net