Discuss Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Competency is outlined in the wiring regulations.

Competent electrician may be defined in several ways having minor differences, but essentially if you read the entry qualifications to be a member of the Competent persons scheme for the type of electrical work you do, that is typical of the standard used throughout the industry.

Essentially
Level 3 in installation (your C&G will do).
(Including testing)
Current regulations.
Current building regulations where applicable.
Demonstrate to an inspector that your work meets the current standards.

Etc.

Many councils also define this for acceptance of notifiable work from non-scheme members and for inspection work, for example:

submitted in connection with:
• Housing licensing applications under Parts 2 & 3 of ‘The Housing Act 2004’ (Mandatory
HMO, Additional HMO and Selective licensing)
or in compliance with;
• Regulation 3 (1) of ‘The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented sector (England)
Regulations 2020’ (SI 312:2020)
and
• Regulation 7 (3) of ‘The Licensing and Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation
(Additional Provisions) (England) Regulations 2007’ (SI 1903:2007) – as applicable to
‘Section 257 HMOs’,
has / have been produced by a person both qualified and specifically competent to undertake
inspection and testing of fixed electrical installations.
In line with current government guidance, the Local Housing Authority (LHA) may do this by:
1. checking if the inspector is a member of a relevant competent person scheme, via the
‘Registered Competent Person Electrical’ website:
and / or
2. “requiring the inspector to sign a checklist certifying their competence, including their
experience, whether they have adequate insurance and hold a qualification covering
the current version of the wiring regulations and in the periodic inspection, testing and
certification of electrical installations”.

It doesn't actually mean they are competent, though.
I wonder what the outcome would be if a scheme registered electrician made the same mistake in wiring a house as the self-taught one.
Should it be like HGV drivers getting a harsher sentence because of them being a professional driver and should know better.
It's the homeowner whose going to end up with the brunt of the load as it's their responsibility.

Been reading the posts, lol many of us dont agree with part p legislation, but its with us and we will continue to have our pants pulled down.
@Brian Taylor having core qualifications is not enough now certainly not in the domestic sector, certain jobs/tasks require notification to building control so joining a scheme cps (competent persons scheme).
Basically you need to be accredited and this is how its achieved by joining these schemes. ££££s

Okay I have trimmed this thread down a bit. Unless you have helpful advice regarding the 18th Ed exam as per @Julie. can you refrain from posting.

Okay I have trimmed this thread down a bit. Unless you have helpful advice regarding the 18th Ed exam as per @Julie. can you refrain from posting.

Surely the non-notification of jobs is quite a major issue??

Can we all just carry on as we wish in the cheapest way possible then?

Feel free to delete this post, perhaps it doesn't matter.

With no offence intended it sounds as though the OP has been somewhat living under a rock since about Jan 2005. Before that date the manner of working described was common.
There were even signs in the electrical aisle at B&Q about it when it changed so its astonishing if he genuinely has no knowledge of it.
Actually... I'm the OP, this thread was about whether it's worth doing the Amendment 2 if you already have 18th Ed, before it got taken over by a windup merchant.

I can confirm that I don't live under a rock and am aware of the requirements for notifiable work. Cheers!

Actually... I'm the OP, this thread was about whether it's worth doing the Amendment 2 if you already have 18th Ed, before it got taken over by a windup merchant.

I can confirm that I don't live under a rock and am aware of the requirements for notifiable work. Cheers!

Yup, I nearly missed that a few times!!

The person to whom the comments were directed, wasn't actually the OP, don't think I made the mistake , but might have.

I haven't re-certified on amd2 either.

I think we will be good until the 19th edition, which at the rate we get changes imposed, will be next week!

I think it's always going to be of benefit if only to show towards being competent, especially if the worst happened, and you ended up in court.
Agree, and I've now done the online Amendment 2 course, even though it was pretty steep at £90. I now have a certificate to prove that at least I tried to understand all that is required of me.

It is a matter of life and death after all.

Agree, and I've now done the online Amendment 2 course, even though it was pretty steep at £90. I now have a certificate to prove that at least I tried to understand all that is required of me.

It is a matter of life and death after all.

And there you go, thats how easy it is yo do the right thing. Nice professional attitude.

Yes you're correct I am very confused....I suspect you may be a good deal higher on the electrical job scale than me and thus require these new qualifications...but thankyou for your help and advice
If your not joking then this scary that your out doing work in the world Brian.

Reply to Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net