Discuss Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got my 18th Ed certificate late last year, now doing 2391. Obviously Amendment 2 has come out since then, and I see these courses available to update your 18th accordingly.
But at what point would this be needed? I assume it's not a legal requirement. If I got my 2391 and NVQ in the next year and applied for a gold card, would my 18th cert be classed as not current unless I update it? Thanks.

As we as competent electrician must always work to the current standard, then yes, we all should at, some point, sit the exam for the 2nd Amendment. This is particularly true for those enrolled in a scheme such as the NICEIC, who will no doubt make it a requirement for membership.
Amendment 1 will be withdrawn from Sept 27 2022, and whether or not we sit the exam for Amendment 2, we will have to work to Amendment 2. Which means we'll have to know what the changes are.

do you have to get the new book for each amendment or is there a cheaper way? Already pay enough for approved contractor membership to then be buying new books and exam whenever a new amendment comes out

As we as competent electrician must always work to the current standard, then yes, we all should at, some point, sit the exam for the 2nd Amendment. This is particularly true for those enrolled in a scheme such as the NICEIC, who will no doubt make it a requirement for membership.
Amendment 1 will be withdrawn from Sept 27 2022, and whether or not we sit the exam for Amendment 2, we will have to work to Amendment 2. Which means we'll have to know what the changes are.
True but that doesn't mean you have to take an exam to be able to work to it.

As a form of demonstration that you are conversant with the new regulations have you looked at Continuing Professional Development (CPD) offed by the mentioned accreditation body free of charge to their members, where you watch a series of online content and at the end you print out a certificate as evidence of completion, these are marked in hours and are a recognised form of training.
keep them with your other important documents. 😃

Can you please advise....I have not sat any update courses since I did my 17th edition many years ago....I have been informed that I tight be a good idea to think about doing the new 18th edition course now...can anyone tell me what's involved as I don't want to get into anything too heavy (or expensive) if its not absolutely necessary

Can you please advise....I have not sat any update courses since I did my 17th edition many years ago....I have been informed that I tight be a good idea to think about doing the new 18th edition course now...can anyone tell me what's involved as I don't want to get into anything too heavy (or expensive) if its not absolutely necessary
Full 18th edition courses which include AMD2 which there are a multitude of training providers set you back around the £500 mark inc Vat and will take up 3 days of your time. discount can be gained from accredited members I'm sure.

But surely a good electrician should keep up to date with new versions of the regs.

Full 18th edition courses which include AMD2 which there are a multitude of training providers set you back around the £500 mark inc Vat and will take up 3 days of your time. discount can be gained from accredited members I'm sure.
Wow was hoping for maybe 70 to 80 and half a day.....seems a lot of money...Will have to leave that until next year.

Well In an ideal world yes but not many of us can continuously shell out money on updates...I don't mind doing it say every 10 years or so ..but the frequency that these new requirements seem to be dreamt up staggers believe at the moment.

You're only willing to do a course every 10 years? Really?

You can't really complain about the cost of the 18th course if you haven't done any CPD or courses since the 17th regs in about 2008. That's nearly 15 years!

As a form of demonstration that you are conversant with the new regulations have you looked at Continuing Professional Development (CPD) offed by the mentioned accreditation body free of charge to their members, where you watch a series of online content and at the end you print out a certificate as evidence of completion, these are marked in hours and are a recognised form of training.
keep them with your other important documents. 😃
I've never known of this requirement for continuous professional development....where is all this information?

No I don't know anything about those courses ...but I've been advised to stay away from the NICEIC as that one is an extortionate expense.

They aren't courses, they are schemes which you become a member of.

How do you notify jobs currently?

This all new to me.....what do you mean notify jobs ....obviously I notify the customer that I've finished the job when I invoice them

I was thinking more like new circuits or consumer units? Do you do that sort of work?

Reply to Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net