Discuss Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've never known of this requirement for continuous professional development....where is all this information?
it is not a requirement, its for continued professional development. gaining more understanding of the trade you are practicing, helping to navigate and understand the regulations that all of us in the trade need to abide by to ensure our work is compliant.

I'm not signed up with anyone...should I be?

I'm guessing you may not be up to date with requirements as far as notifiable jobs and Part P are concerned. I would have a Google search - easier than me trying to explain and thus confusing things!

I'm guessing you may not be up to date with requirements as far as notifiable jobs and Part P are concerned. I would have a Google search - easier than me trying to explain and thus confusing things!
Yes you're correct I am very confused....I suspect you may be a good deal higher on the electrical job scale than me and thus require these new qualifications...but thankyou for your help and advice

Yes you're correct I am very confused....I suspect you may be a good deal higher on the electrical job scale than me and thus require these new qualifications...but thankyou for your help and advice

Part P and the schemes aren't qualifications. Part P is something that electricians have to comply with, and the schemes (NICEIC etc) provide notification services that assist with this.

Of course you can notify building control each time you need to, but some councils charge a fortune.

I'm not signed up with anyone...should I be?
Are you new to domestic work, ie, where you commercial or industrial for a long time. Part P has been a thing for a long time and you need it in domestic work, unless all you do is change bedroom lights. If a client or employer has an issue and takes you to court you won't have a leg to stand on no matter how good the install and testing is.

Part P of Building Regulations 2010 relates to electrical safety and, amount other things requires that certain tasks are 'notified' to Building Control (LABC), this is meant to serve as an oversight and gives them the ability to check the work is to the required standard.

Scheme providers such as NICEIC & NAPIT have systems in place whereby they will handle that notification for you, for a nominal fee.

You can read more on Part P here; Electrical safety: Approved Document P - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/electrical-safety-approved-document-p

Screenshot_20221115-161428_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Part P and the schemes aren't qualifications. Part P is something that electricians have to comply with, and the schemes (NICEIC etc) provide notification services that assist with this.

Of course you can notify building control each time you need to, but some councils charge a fortune.
Yes I'm sure they do....but as I don't notify anyone ...whatever that means it shouldn't cost me anything.....this has never been a problem before for me in all the years of doing electrical jobs. I must admit from what you've said that this could open a very large can of worms for some electricians.

Are you new to domestic work, ie, where you commercial or industrial for a long time. Part P has been a thing for a long time and you need it in domestic work, unless all you do is change bedroom lights. If a client or employer has an issue and takes you to court you won't have a leg to stand on no matter how good the install and testing is.
Been doing it for about 40 years now...not sure why I should be taken to court over anything....what would anyone gain from that?

Yes I'm sure they do....but as I don't notify anyone ...whatever that means it shouldn't cost me anything.....this has never been a problem before for me in all the years of doing electrical jobs. I must admit from what you've said that this could open a very large can of worms for some electricians.

Just so I'm clear, you've been doing electrical work, including new circuits and consumer units, for years without notifying anybody?

Why do you think it 'shouldn't cost you anything' ?

It seems a bit dodgy that you don't want to pay money to notify work, and you don't want to pay money to take courses.

Presumably you do issues EICs and MW certs for the work though?

Just so I'm clear, you've been doing electrical work, including new circuits and consumer units, for years without notifying anybody?

Why do you think it 'shouldn't cost you anything' ?

It seems a bit dodgy that you don't want to pay money to notify work, and you don't want to pay money to take courses.
No just didn't know about the new requirements...as far as I'm aware I've got my C&G certificate that says I'm an electrician..so no problem as far as I can see...
Many be I'm incorrect in that thinking

Reply to Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net