Discuss Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've just read one of the other threads where the OP says he carries out EICRs for £85. I suppose that's possible when you bend the rules to suit you - then you can undercut other people.

Apologies if that's a bit rude or unfair. I just find this thread a little hard to swallow.

Last edited:
@Brian Taylor are you aware of the requirements for...AFDDs, ........
Try post 114

Try post 114

Oh my. I replied to that comment. Do you think it was a serious question?

Are you being serious?

If you drive down the road without a seat belt - because when you learnt to drive it wasn't mandatory (pre '83) do you think the police/courts would say "ah ok you can't be expected to know all the ins and outs of the regulations, they should be considered just guidance as long as you made an effort"

Absolutely not, you even as an individual are expected to ensure you are up to date with this sort of thing.

As a professional, it will be even more expected for you to be up to date with all aspects of your job, it is after all your profession.

I am obviously not a lawyer, but I do try to keep up with the rules and regulations that impact my job, these are contained in a range of documents, obviously the 18th is the most significant one, but the electricity at work act, building regulations, and various others such as Puwer etc.
Of course I am aware of the requirements to use a seat belt...that requirement was well and truly advertised in the press and television, however I don't belive that the majority of drivers are fully conversant with all the finer points of the High way code...there are just too many of them. By the same token very few will be fully conversant with every aspect of the regulations....and can't be expected to be so...we simply interpret it to the best of our abilities...some aspects can be highly subjective. But I think as long as we refrain from anything very silly we can be happy that we are doing our best.

Following the wiring regulations is not a legal requirement in itself.

Following Part P of the building regulations is absolutely a legal requirement. How can anyone in the trade not be aware of this!!!

Part P came into force in 2005. And it's not just about notifiable works. It contains legal requirements for all electrical work done in domestic dwellings.

Following the wiring regulations is not a legal requirement in itself.

Following Part P of the building regulations is absolutely a legal requirement. How can anyone in the trade not be aware of this!!!

Part P came into force in 2005. And it's not just about notifiable works. It contains legal requirements for all electrical work done in domestic dwellings.
Yes but I was not aware of this until this afternoon...and I'm not too sure how I can resolve this in the short term .

Reply to Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net