Discuss Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

No just didn't know about the new requirements...as far as I'm aware I've got my C&G certificate that says I'm an electrician..so no problem as far as I can see...
Many be I'm incorrect in that thinking

Do you issue EICs and MW certs though?

Find it very hard to believe that somebody with 40 years electrical experience is oblivious about anything to do with Part P and notifying domestic works, unless of course you are just an employee and your employer takes care of all this 😀
but i hope you find the information you are looking for, all the best.

Been doing it for about 40 years now...not sure why I should be taken to court over anything....what would anyone gain from that

Been doing it for about 40 years now...not sure why I should be taken to court over anything....what would anyone gain from that?
I mean if something went wrong, not saying it would. If I had work done then got a bad shock or my kids did and then found out your not registered to any governing body I'd take you for all you've got. These schemes are there to protect you. And if you haven't updated your knowledge in 40 years God knows what your doing.

This thread is a bit scary. I don't intend being rude but I really think you should check what the requirements of an electrician are. It's in your own interests to be honest.

I mean if something went wrong, not saying it would. If I had work done then got a bad shock or my kids did and then found out your not registered to any governing body I'd take you for all you've got. These schemes are there to protect you. And if you haven't updated your knowledge in 40 years God knows what your doing.
But surely if its not mandatory to belong to one of these organisation hiw can I be prosecuted?...in addition I carry insurance ..the problem would be theirs

But surely if its not mandatory to belong to one of these organisation hiw can I be prosecuted?...in addition I carry insurance ..the problem would be theirs

Do you make sure the customer notifies the work by any chance?

No it wouldn't!

If you do any work especially for paying customers it is your responsibility to do the job safely and in line with all regulations. (You could be held accountable under law if you don't)

Remember, that's ALL regulations, not just the electrical ones you learnt 40 years ago.

If you cut holes in joists, or position outlets, all this has to be in-line with building regulations, the C&G or 18th edition only extends to the electrical aspects, not the whole job.

The building regulations specify many aspects of the day to day work of all electricians - just not the electrical bits.

Part P specifically mandates that certain work is notifiable to the local building control, this includes electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms, new circuits etc. etc.

It is actually an offence in law not to notify.

Insurance generally covers you for errors (put too big a hole in a joist which then collapses etc) but won't necessarily cover you if there is systematic breaches of regulations, as this would be considered deliberate, it also won't protect you from flagrantly breaking the law.

No it wouldn't!

If you do any work especially for paying customers it is your responsibility to do the job safely and in line with all regulations. (You could be held accountable under law if you don't)

Remember, that's ALL regulations, not just the electrical ones you learnt 40 years ago.

If you cut holes in joists, or position outlets, all this has to be in-line with building regulations, the C&G or 18th edition only extends to the electrical aspects, not the whole job.

The building regulations specify many aspects of the day to day work of all electricians - just not the electrical bits.

Part P specifically mandates that certain work is notifiable to the local building control, this includes electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms, new circuits etc. etc.

It is actually an offence in law not to notify.

Insurance generally covers you for errors (put too big a hole in a joist which then collapses etc) but won't necessarily cover you if there is systematic breaches of regulations, as this would be considered deliberate, it also won't protect you from flagrantly breaking the law.
Wow sounds like you're a lawyer....as a box standard electrician I can't be expected to know the ins and outs of the building regulations..indeed I don't belive that I am required to have an in depth knowledge of the electrical regulations ...they are for guidance only not for blind obedience to..yes I can agree that gross stupidity cannot be excused but I don't belive that the law imposes such Draconian requirements as to expect us to know everything What we do.
As far as I'm aware we only have to carry out our work to our best endeavours...with reasonable skill...we are not expected to be the top of our field..only reasonable.

Wow sounds like you're a lawyer....as a box standard electrician I can't be expected to know the ins and outs of the building regulations..indeed I don't belive that I am required to have an in depth knowledge of the electrical regulations ...they are for guidance only not for blind obedience to..yes I can agree that gross stupidity cannot be excused but I don't belive that the law imposes such Draconian requirements as to expect us to know everything What we do.
As far as I'm aware we only have to carry out our work to our best endeavours...with reasonable skill...we are not expected to be the top of our field..only reasonable.
Wow. I'm ducking out of this one, clearly you don't won't to hear what people have to say and you clearly don't won't to take any of it on board. You might as well carry on regardless. Be lucky.

Wow!

Are you being serious?

If you drive down the road without a seat belt - because when you learnt to drive it wasn't mandatory (pre '83) do you think the police/courts would say "ah ok you can't be expected to know all the ins and outs of the regulations, they should be considered just guidance as long as you made an effort"

Absolutely not, you even as an individual are expected to ensure you are up to date with this sort of thing.

As a professional, it will be even more expected for you to be up to date with all aspects of your job, it is after all your profession.

I am obviously not a lawyer, but I do try to keep up with the rules and regulations that impact my job, these are contained in a range of documents, obviously the 18th is the most significant one, but the electricity at work act, building regulations, and various others such as Puwer etc.

With no offence intended it sounds as though the OP has been somewhat living under a rock since about Jan 2005. Before that date the manner of working described was common.
There were even signs in the electrical aisle at B&Q about it when it changed so its astonishing if he genuinely has no knowledge of it.

Reply to Do I need to update my 18th edition for Amendment 2 ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net