Discuss Do I really need to terminate this unused wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

Some time ago, we removed a wall light in our lounge... Unsure of what to do with the remaining wire, I put the live and neutral into separate choc block segments, then taped them up separately.

It has been left like that for some quite time. But we are now having a spurge to finish decorating so I went to a store today to find out what I would need. I was recommended a blanking plate.

I asked the guy whether it would be safe to just leave it as is. We will be hanging a pic in front of it either way, so it does not need to look neat and tidy. He said it would be fine and that the blanketing plate does not make it safer.... It just keeps things tidy....

What do you folk think?

Cheers

Max

A couple of pics:

Do I really need to terminate this unused wiring? Living Room Wall Light Wiring 1 Small.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDo I really need to terminate this unused wiring? Living Room Wall Light Wiring 2 Small.JPG - EletriciansForums.netDo I really need to terminate this unused wiring? Living Room Wall Light Wiring 3 Small.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Is it LIVE? Personally i would after testing to make sure its dead. make sure it can never become live again, by disconnecting from relevant switch. test again. and bury it fill over and have yourself a nice clean wall. Maybe keep cable ends at switch safely terminated at back box with an ID to state what it was used for....n just in case later on you want a wall light. Make a measurement note of when on wall the end is buried

Remove the cable in it's entirety and plaster over. Make sure you know the circuit is dead and safe to work on before getting the snips out.

I personally would ask an electrician to isolate the circuit, find where the cable enters the floor/ceiling void, snip it and terminate into an appropriate enclosure and secure in the void, then re energise. Then the cable in the wall can be cut right back and plastered over.

Tape can lead to fires. What type of fuse board do you currently have? Old rewireable fuses or RCD protected circuits?

:thumbsup

Yes you do, or someone does. I definitely wouldn't leave that just taped up, behind a picture or not. It wouldn't be long before someone grabbed hold of it and asked what its for, if they're not being electrocuted at the time that is.

The standard practice for unused cables is to disconnect both ends, bare all the conductors, twist them all together, including the earth and connect to earth at the consumer unit.

That way if anyone tries to liven up the cable at either end or even in the middle, it will trip an MCB, RCD or blow a fuse immediately.

The above of course needs to be done by someone who can confirm the origins of both ends of the cable.

The standard practice for unused cables is to disconnect both ends, bare all the conductors, twist them all together, including the earth and connect to earth at the consumer unit.

That way if anyone tries to liven up the cable at either end or even in the middle, it will trip an MCB, RCD or blow a fuse immediately.

The above of course needs to be done by someone who can confirm the origins of both ends of the cable.
Standard practice to connect un-used cables to earth in consumer unit, are you sure ?
I can see your thinking but giving something that should be removed a potential is not a good idea. Mention that to your scheme provider and see what he says but sit down first.

I'm guessing that this was an old wall light and as it is still live probably means that the circuit is still in use and has other outlets being used.

Best advice is to get above the drop and safely deal with the cable before it drops down the wall. This way the circuit can still operate as intended and the drop to the current position will be dead.... Just like the person that may touch it if the problem is left as is :thumbsup

Thanks for all the replies....

Yes, the cable is live. We were reluctant to get rid of the cable totally because we have had new carpets laid upstairs... When we had an electrician quote us for some other work and asked him what could be done with it without disturbing the carpets upstairs, he said he could fit a blank/blanking plate and leave it at that.

Does that plan sound ok?

Cheers

Max

A blanking plate still requires a backbox chopping in the wall, and has you are finishing the deco.... its kinda going about things back to front. Any pro electrician should be able to lift and refit the carpet to the same standards as was found and im supprised he didnt convince you of that. You now left with a situe far worse than a fold crease left in a new carpet that would have settled back within a few weeks. Id still consider getting spaerk in to pull flooring up and have the job done proper- then you dont have to hang a picture of your mother-in-law up to keep everone away from the underlying danger.

Fair points, although I would add that alongside the carpet issue - the flooring upstairs is chipboard t&g and therefore not the easiest to lift....

If your sparky is fully equiped he will have a chipboard hole cutter to get access and once done he drops in a plastic or metal plug/bung that sits flush, if he locates the cable correctly its would be done and dusted in 15mins..... the cost etc mount up when you get the circular saw in ... more time, dust and more disruption to flooring integrity.
I have this kit and recently saved best part of a days work trying to access a few cables in heavily furnitured rooms.

What are those hole saw things like? I dont like the idea of drilling blind and not knowing whats under and not knowing where the joists are? I always lift a full board

you are just drilling a 4-6 inch hole with a holesaw style cutter that leaves a recess lip, the joists simple to locate by tapping or following the nail runs, it presents no less a hazard than using a circular saw. if something is rammed tight up to the board that you may hit it with either method.
It just takes a little more working out as to where you need to be and is ideal in the OP's situation, other senerio's may see more advantage lifting the boards but have more than paid for itself on the first job i used it for.

I just got that same bit of kit darkwood, very handy and a great time saver! I like how it cuts the recess for the plug to fit in snugly and flush :) well worth getting guys

If your sparky is fully equiped he will have a chipboard hole cutter to get access and once done he drops in a plastic or metal plug/bung that sits flush, if he locates the cable correctly its would be done and dusted in 15mins..... the cost etc mount up when you get the circular saw in ... more time, dust and more disruption to flooring integrity.
I have this kit and recently saved best part of a days work trying to access a few cables in heavily furnitured rooms.

what is this kit and where can i look at what it does? i hate the idea of stuff out there i don't know about

Reply to Do I really need to terminate this unused wiring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock