Discuss Do socket outlets in a Pub need to be RCD/RCBO protected! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on this, should socket outlets in the general public areas be RCD/RCBO protected? I believe they do and have put them down as a C2 on a recent EICR but recently got a phone call to say it's a C3!

I'm not aware that the general public randomly plug in their own equipment into the sockets inside the pub.
Usually these sockets are for pub game machines and for cleaners
If you generally feel these sockets present a danger then C2
However if it's just a improvement C3 it.
Sockets upto 20 amps should be rcd protected unless a documented risk assessment has deemed it not necessary.
Cables buried in walls feeding these sockets may also need additional protection from an rcd.
My first thoughts are it's a C3 but that's without knowing all the variables such as do any sockets supply outdoor equipment, heaters or used for outdoors especially in summer
It then may sway to a C2.

Last edited:
with a pub if it has living accommodation above it and both the pub and the accommodation share a main supply it comes under part p nonsense.
if they have different supplies then part p doesnt apply.
Spent most of my career working on pub, cafe and restaurant refits.
I have seen many a good gaffer get into arguments with labc over this. always funny to watch.
Just check in case you do any work which is normally notifiable if it were in a house as i have seen builders refurbing pubs masquerading as sparks get pulled up by building control and the licensing committee when they have queried emergency lighting, cctv etc and asked who did the work and due to the part p nonsense subsequently get fined as they werent part of a scam. only seen it twice but a pain none the less.

The cables supplying them are less than 50 mm depth and I've started seeing a lot more people charging phones, laptops or tablets for kids. Personally I think there a C2 because of the above and more and more sites are starting to change there sockets for the ones with the USB charge outlets.

The cables supplying them are less than 50 mm depth and I've started seeing a lot more people charging phones, laptops or tablets for kids. Personally I think there a C2 because of the above and more and more sites are starting to change there sockets for the ones with the USB charge outlets.
To be honest I would C3 sockets domestically say for upstairs were sockets are generally not likely to be used for supplying outdoor equipment yet they can be multiple USB type so I don't see any relevance.
This is not domestic of course

To be honest I would C3 sockets domestically say for upstairs were sockets are generally not likely to be used for supplying outdoor equipment yet they can be multiple USB type so I don't see any relevance.
This is not domestic of course
We have the same issue with outdoor light fittings not being mechanically protected and wanting to put them on rcd/RCBO protection, it always gets knocked back.

Reply to Do socket outlets in a Pub need to be RCD/RCBO protected! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net