Discuss Do you have a terms and conditions document? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
There was a thread recently on AFDD's, I was fairly surprised quite a few people were against a scheme providers suggestion to get written confirmation from a client they did not want one fitting.

Personally for everything but the smallest of jobs I provide a full T&C's document, it covers any possible situation that's caught me out in the past or that I can envisage catching me out in the future. It covers everything from payment terms and waste disposal to the fact additional time required to clear access will be chargeable and we will leave the site in a clean/tidy condition but they may require additional cleaning for some dusty jobs.

It's helped me out a lot in the past and I think it's also won me work as customers know exactly what they are getting.

Do others bother with this sort of thing?

i'd be interested to see this as i am in the process of knocking up a T&E doc. any chance of attaching to a pm?

i'd be interested to see this as i am in the process of knocking up a T&E doc. any chance of attaching to a pm?

No probs, I'll ping you a copy tonight, I need to sanitize it a bit as it has contact details on it.

The domestic stuff I do is heating engineering rather than electrical but they will broadly be the same.

There was a thread recently on AFDD's, I was fairly surprised quite a few people were against a scheme providers suggestion to get written confirmation from a client they did not want one fitting.

Personally for everything but the smallest of jobs I provide a full T&C's document, it covers any possible situation that's caught me out in the past or that I can envisage catching me out in the future. It covers everything from payment terms and waste disposal to the fact additional time required to clear access will be chargeable and we will leave the site in a clean/tidy condition but they may require additional cleaning for some dusty jobs.

It's helped me out a lot in the past and I think it's also won me work as customers know exactly what they are getting.

Do others bother with this sort of thing?
I think you must remember Mate, YOU the Electrician are the professional in this scenario.
Asking the customer to agree or not as in this case to a protective device is wrong, if it is required then quote for it at the outset, but you may say I could loose work due to quoting, to someone else.

It's time the regulators made a decision Yes or No about both AFDDs and SPDs.

With regards to the CPS Provider saying write a letter asking if the customer want's AFDD or SPDs saying inclusion may prevent your House burning down, is tantamount to blackmail.

Almost like saying do you want me to provide main Bonding to maybe stop you getting an electric shock.

Come on IET grow a pair and make a firm decision, probably asking to much of them from past experiences.

I think you must remember Mate, YOU the Electrician are the professional in this scenario.
Asking the customer to agree or not as in this case to a protective device is wrong, if it is required then quote for it at the outset, but you may say I could loose work due to quoting, to someone else.

It's time the regulators made a decision Yes or No about both AFDDs and SPDs.

With regards to the CPS Provider saying write a letter asking if the customer want's AFDD or SPDs saying inclusion may prevent your House burning down, is tantamount to blackmail.

Almost like saying do you want me to provide main Bonding to maybe stop you getting an electric shock.

Come on IET grow a pair and make a firm decision, probably asking to much of them from past experiences.

Domestically I trade as a heating engineer, AFDD's luckily arent something I have to worry about. The majority of my T&C's are about specifying what customers can expect from me and what I require from them. You get some weirdos who don't want you to use their toilet facilities for example. Or they don't want you using their electric. It also covers stuff like payment terms and deposits. I generally find good customers know exactly where they stand with it.

If I move a radiator for example my price doesn't include me wall papering/painting behind the old one. 90% of people wouldn't expect you to but you get some people who would. So long as you stick to your T&C's it's a very quick way of bringing disputes with difficult customers to a swift resolution.

I dont know your customers so it might not work for you but the majority of mine seem to like the clarity and view it a professionalism.
[automerge]1597068354[/automerge]
I know @dseselectric did a video not so long ago about this subject (although referenced as Scope of works and estimates), found it interesting myself.

View: https://youtu.be/LHRrN0MOp48

I'd like to see Davids T&C's, I suspect a whole page of it is probably devoted to not leaving Nige unsupervised near the lady of the houses smalls draw.

Joking appart they seem like two very competent guys.

The Schemes normally provide a template for T&C's. Think my old one Elecsa, had it openly available on their web site, unless they wised up to that by now.

Reply to Do you have a terms and conditions document? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net