Discuss Dodgy Legrand switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We seem to have a spate of Legrand light switches in our house that have failed in a rather "interesting" (read: dangerous) way - the plastic switch covers seem to get loose over time and then eventually just fall off, exposing the live contacts underneath:

Dodgy Legrand switches {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I've since gone through and replaced them all with MKs, but curious as to whether anyone else has had this issue with Legrand or other switches? They're likely around 20 years old as that's when the house was built, but I'm certainly not used to light switches dangerously failing like this after a couple of decades...

Yep, did a periodic last year in a rented property, 2 switches had the covers missing and 3 others were close to failing. The tenants were operating the broken switches by poking pencils into the open hole.:eek:

Bloody hell...

I still find it astounding that they'll use cheap crap to save a few pence per switch on a home costing hundreds of thousands. I mean, if you said to any (reasonable) human being "Hey, you're spending £300k on this home, would you like us to whack the price up by £10 to fit some light switches that shouldn't fail dangerously in a few years?", I think the answer would be pretty clear cut...

Yep, did a periodic last year in a rented property, 2 switches had the covers missing and 3 others were close to failing. The tenants were operating the broken switches by poking pencils into the open hole.:eek:

Found a problem , came up with a solution

Thank god they didn’t use grannies old knitting needle

I would expect the switches to be some years old, the Legrand Aztec range went out of production when the current range apperared. perhaps 15 years ago?

I would expect the switches to be some years old, the Legrand Aztec range went out of production when the current range apperared. perhaps 15 years ago?

That would make sense, but no other switches I've seen have failed this dangerously after 15-20 years... Some in my parents house must be getting on for 40-50 years old now, and still absolutely fine.

I get that nothing lasts forever, but that's a pretty shocking failure mode!

Interesting, I always quite liked it. o_O Nice big brass terminals, dual screws on their higher current switches and shower pull switches IIRC.

Reply to Dodgy Legrand switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock