Discuss Does this consumer unit need replacing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Some of the earth sleeving is green, implying it was done before around 1977, some if it green/yellow, though unlikely a lot of work done after.

Certainly there are a lot of good reasons for changing the board to a modern one, ideally an all-RCBO style (so each circuit has a combined MCB for over-current protection and an RCD for earth leakage protection):
  • Any after 17th regs amendment 3 are metal to be fire-resistant
  • An 18th edition board would have surge protection
  • Anything in the last decade or so would have additional RCD protection against shock
While the cables are old they are PVC (not the horrible old VIR rubber) so if they are in good condition (insulation resitance high, no signs of thermal stress or rodent damage, etc) you can probably use them for decades more to come, and that reduces the decorating impact of an update.

However, it would be worth considering having all of the accessories like 13A sockets and light switches updated if they are getting on and any have switches that are a bit sticky in action or cracked, etc. Maybe not essential if they are still usable, but then it would all be tested as part of the board replacement as well.
Wrong about the 18th edition board having surge protection....recommendation only, not a requirement

Wrong about the 18th edition board having surge protection....recommendation only, not a requirement
It is a requirement in many cases from 443.4, optional for other cases when either:
  • A risk assessment according to 443.5 says it is not merited (but few are really going to do the assessment as it needs lengths and types of HV and LV feed lines) or
  • "single dwelling units where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection"
I can't imagine many households with less than £2k replacement-value worth of electronics these days when you look at appliances with electronic control, LED lighting, TV, PC, etc, so it is very hard to argue that the extra £50 or less on the SPD is "not justified".

Now it is true that such mains-powered electronics should tolerate Category II level surges of 2.5kV and events beyond that are rare, but consumer electronics seems to get crappier every year... Also how long until manufacturers of RCD/RCBO say SPD must be fitted?

True, but cars typically come with only a few years warranty but often last 10-20 if looked after!

Thats true, but not many households look after their electrics, except those DIY'ers who hack them to bits.

My remarks where somewhat tongue in cheek. However, if I bought a property such as this, I would definitely consider a rewire. Same as some people would replace their windows, or have a new kitchen installed, as their 'noughties' kitchen just wasn't the right kind of style. Just saying.

However, if I bought a property such as this, I would definitely consider a rewire.
Very true.

My own point is often a "rewire" is not the bit that is needed, as often cables are OK and so long as you don't need more things fitted then you can fit a new CU and some socket/switch replacement and everything is up to date from a safety perspective. Saves significant cost & time (electrician's and re-decorating in many cases).

But until the test report is read and any related deficiencies considered (like not enough sockets so dangerously routed extension leads being used) we don't know.

Don't need a test report myself; I can tell with my eyes.

True its just my time, not so easy for other people. But the time to rewire, is when you move in, not ten years later when the rest of the property has been fully refurbished.

It is a requirement in many cases from 443.4, optional for other cases when either:
  • A risk assessment according to 443.5 says it is not merited (but few are really going to do the assessment as it needs lengths and types of HV and LV feed lines) or
  • "single dwelling units where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection"
I can't imagine many households with less than £2k replacement-value worth of electronics these days when you look at appliances with electronic control, LED lighting, TV, PC, etc, so it is very hard to argue that the extra £50 or less on the SPD is "not justified".

Now it is true that such mains-powered electronics should tolerate Category II level surges of 2.5kV and events beyond that are rare, but consumer electronics seems to get crappier every year... Also how long until manufacturers of RCD/RCBO say SPD must be fitted?
Totally agree but a single dwelling is still only a recommendation for spd

Reply to Does this consumer unit need replacing? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock