Discuss Does this need to be bonded? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's a great document and one of the clearest explanations I've ever seen.
I'm not sure it helps this situation though other than establishing a helpful target let-go current.
See the diagram below and note the bit circled. That wouldn't be there in the situation this thread is discussing.

Isn't the point here that in all cases there's an 1000 ohm path straight to earth with at least 230ma current flowing, whether you add a parallel path through a unbonded pole (roughly 1000+ 110 ohms using value to MET) or a parallel path through an bonded pole (roughly 1000 + 66 ohms)?
Am I thinking about this right or losing marbles?!
View attachment 94766
No. Your marbles are very much where they are meant to be. But if I may offer my final comment on this post, it's this. Bonding as a topic is the "gift that keeps on giving" from the point of view that since I, ve been an apprentice no other single electrical subject has caused me more "head scratching" (along with the occasional headache.) The electrical game would be very boring without it🙂

By standing on the soil you'd probably be wearing shoes that provide some level of insulation. Touching a metal pole with bare skin will give a lower impedance to earth. Also it would be a case of resistors in parallel so the two paths combined would give a reduced total impedance to earth.

Reply to Does this need to be bonded? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views
So, the actual job is on a farm. I think I'll keep things simple at the moment and just ask about voltage drop. I'll come on to earthing and...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Just a quick question. Does a main protective bonding conductor require UV protection when run outside? I am under the impression that...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would like some advice on a scenario currently at my workplace. I am replacing a Sub main DB and replacing the wiring to sockets/lights...
Replies
Views
I have had these lights installed by a contractor whose work is normally very good. He has not connected the earth in each fitting as there is a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock