Discuss “Domestic” Cable for Motor Applications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

First time posting on here so not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I’m sure you will all correct me if it isn’t.

My query today is whether anyone can see a problem using twin and earth to supply motor units fed from C rated MCBs?

I have enquired with an NICEIC assessor who says he doesn’t see the problem with it but still remain unsure and uncertain within my head.

Maybe this is unacceptable in all circumstances, maybe it’s ok for shorter runs but not larger runs, could be that it’s perfectly fine.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

All depends on the installation method and external influences.

Also how is the motor connected?

Is the cable and termination subject to vibration etc?

Need more info really.

When I used to wire motors up in the past it was a connection to a 4x4 box then either a copper or flex from the box to the motor as mentioned above its the vibrations as some motors sit on heavy duty rubber shock absorbers more info needed as then better advice can be given.

Good afternoon all,

First time posting on here so not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I’m sure you will all correct me if it isn’t.

My query today is whether anyone can see a problem using twin and earth to supply motor units fed from C rated MCBs?

I have enquired with an NICEIC assessor who says he doesn’t see the problem with it but still remain unsure and uncertain within my head.

Maybe this is unacceptable in all circumstances, maybe it’s ok for shorter runs but not larger runs, could be that it’s perfectly fine.

Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks.
Will that be single phase motors or three phase motors, solid core condctorsare not ideal for machines that are subject to vibration

In this instance there are 10 motor units positioned throughout a service duct which runs around the perimeter of a building.

The cables are grouped and tie wrapped to a cable tray, go into individual rotary isolators, and then into the units.

Cable runs range from 10-90 metres from the distribution board.

Is this already installed or are you installing? Is this perimeter run internal or external to the building?

This is an existing installation I have come across. The service corridor is internal with no chance of the weather affecting it.

Usual procedure for myself would be to install using SWA or NYY.

Aside from the responses above saying about vibration on the motor terminals, why did you think it was not suitable to use? What exactly is "domestic" cable?
I'm sure the DI brigade will be able to help.

So why do you want to know if it is existing?

So the T&E terminates into the rotary Isolators. What cable have they used from the rotary isolator ?
I'd be more interested In disconnection times, what size are the motors ? are the motors incorperated into a pre-wired unit or are they independantly switched on via the Rotary isolator ?

Last edited:
I would like to know out of curiosity, westward10 - is that unheard of? Might be useful information in the future you never know.

And i’m not sure, just didn’t seem like it was good practice for some reason in my head. Can’t put a finger on it.

Thought you might be doing an EICR. What are the final connections done with.

Aside from the responses above saying about vibration on the motor terminals, why did you think it was not suitable to use? What exactly is "domestic" cable?
To be fair T&E type cable is domestic cable. It's really not designed for non-domestic use. Such use might be described as "value engineering".

Reply to “Domestic” Cable for Motor Applications in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock