Discuss Domestic installer and other works. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im a domestic installer for around 4 years now.

Have a few contacts from schools that have small electrical jobs that need to be done

Such as Replacing emgency light fittings installing new circuits. Emegency light testing, replacing ballasts. Changing broken light fittings.

Am i legally allowed to conduct the above works with out being an approved contractor or only holding the following?

And only holding the 18th edition and a lv2 nvq never got round to doing the nvq lv3?
[automerge]1577069900[/automerge]
Also should add i have also worked with an approved contractor (who is retiring ) for the past 3 years

Last edited:
Im a domestic installer for around 4 years now.

Have a few contacts from schools that have small electrical jobs that need to be done

Such as Replacing emgency light fittings installing new circuits. Emegency light testing, replacing ballasts. Changing broken light fittings.

Am i legally allowed to conduct the above works with out being an approved contractor or only holding the following?

And only holding the 18th edition and a lv2 nvq never got round to doing the nvq lv3?
[automerge]1577069900[/automerge]
Also should add i have also worked with an approved contractor (who is retiring ) for the past 3 years

Have a look at 'Persons' in definitions in BS7671. More importantly, what scope does your insurance policy categorise your work?

Have a look at 'Persons' in definitions in BS7671. More importantly, what scope does your insurance policy categorise your work?
My insurance covers it in its scope of my works...

Persons (skilled, instructed, ordinary)

Skilled person, doesnt give a list of qulifications...

So does that mean as long as you are skilled you can do the work? And your insurance covers it in its scope?

Yes you can legally do these works. You only use your scheme registration for notifiable works in dwellings. I know of some that say you must be an approved contractor and get a real shirt on when told otherwise.

As long as you are deemed competent to complete the works and have the correct insurances etc then crack on.

However you may not be able to use your scheme registration on any certification you issue.

Yes you can legally do these works. You only use your scheme registration for notifiable works in dwellings. I know of some that say you must be an approved contractor and get a real shirt on when told otherwise.

As long as you are deemed competent to complete the works and have the correct insurances etc then crack on.

However you may not be able to use your scheme registration on any certification you issue.

Thanks for the replies, so i need to be deemed competent...

So if i feel i am competent having worked on and around theses systems for 5 years that would fulfil that?

I changed one emergency light, not having any previous experience. If I was doing as a business concern, I would make sure I had the relevant quals’ & knowledge, however that might be achieved.

I don't know the ins and outs of how this NICEIC Domestic Installer scheme operates , but according to the NICEIC, their Domestic Installer scheme is "designed for contractors solely looking to register domestic installation work in accordance with the Building Regulations." Are schools considered to be 'domestic' premises under this DI scheme?

Hmm 18 edition and level 2 nvq (not sure what that means surely an nvq is only done after a level 3 city and guilds qualification ) or am i wrong ?
Sorry i meant only i only finshed the level 2 never got round to finishing the nvq level 3.

Still not moved on it due to the circumstances.

But from what im reading, llegally bothing should stop me if insirances are in place

Reply to Domestic installer and other works. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net