Discuss Domestic Installs Metal CU's also = Metal PV Isolators in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Worcester

-
Mentor
Reaction score
Interesting webcast yesterday from NICEIC covering the 3rd Ammendment BS7671, we were aware of nearly all of it.

The one thing that made us sit up though was that in accordance with the regs, they specifically mentioned that the two isolators (and any other switchgear) needed for the PV system - CU location and Inverter, they believe falls under clause 421.1.201 (similar switchgear) and so must be enclosed in a non-combustable (usually considered to me ferrous)) material.

Anyone else thought about this ?

(Little metal rotary isolators, double pole mcbs' / main switches in metal enclosures) ...

re: Domestic Installs Meta CU's also = Metal PV Isolators

Look at the definition of switchgear in section 2 of 7671. It includes the words 'main and auxiliary switching equipment'. A single isolator (or for that matter a single upfront rcd) does not meet that definition and so can continue to be in a plastic enclosure. Arguably.

re: Domestic Installs Meta CU's also = Metal PV Isolators

The phrase ‘similar switchgear assemblies’ in Regulation 421.1.201 means those assemblies used for the same fundamental application as a consumer unit. A consumer unit is defined in Part 2 of BS 7671:
‘Consumer unit (may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit). A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use.’
An example of a similar switchgear assembly is a three phase distribution board that is intended to be operated by ordinary persons. This would have to have isolation that interrupts the three incoming line conductors and the neutral, rather than just double-pole isolation as mentioned in the above definition.

^The above is written by the IET (wiring matters)^ . If the NICEIC say they "believe" that is falls under 421.1.201 I would say I "believe" it doesn't and carry on as I am.

Last edited:
Re: Domestic Installs Meta CU's also = Metal PV Isolators

I was out working and did not listen to it.

There has been some discussion on the IET site in recent weeks, but not conclusive. It really does annoy me that this is another example of where the rules get changed but the people changing them issue little guidance that explains their thinking and intentions so the minutiae of the regulations get debated for months.

Personally I think I am a fan of plastic enclosures in a domestic situation for isolators. Metal enclosures means they must be earthed. That is one more point of failure. I currrently do not run an earth to a dc isolator unless I am running swa to it.

Interesting webcast yesterday from NICEIC covering the 3rd Ammendment BS7671, we were aware of nearly all of it.

The one thing that made us sit up though was that in accordance with the regs, they specifically mentioned that the two isolators (and any other switchgear) needed for the PV system - CU location and Inverter, they believe falls under clause 421.1.201 (similar switchgear) and so must be enclosed in a non-combustable (usually considered to me ferrous)) material.

Anyone else thought about this ?

(Little metal rotary isolators, double pole mcbs' / main switches in metal enclosures) ...
it doesn't say 'similar switchgear' it says 'similar switchgear assemblies'

A consumer unit is an assembly of multiple switch gear units, an individual isolator is a single unit of switch gear, not an assembly of multiple units.

therefore NIC are wrong.

A consumer unit is an assembly of multiple switch gear units, an individual isolator is a single unit of switch gear, not an assembly of multiple units.

therefore NIC are wrong again.

edited post for you Lol.

Hi Gavin, they are also insistent it applies to an RCD protected TT system, where the RCD is on the main incoming as a stand alone unit. By your logic, it shouldn't apply to that either..

I think the PV scenario it's a misinterpretation, however we have fixed 3rd party installs with molten internals of rotary isolators because the connection wasn't properly tightened, which is precisely the reason for the non-combustible CU requirement.

Hi Gavin, they are also insistent it applies to an RCD protected TT system, where the RCD is on the main incoming as a stand alone unit. By your logic, it shouldn't apply to that either..

I think the PV scenario it's a misinterpretation, however we have fixed 3rd party installs with molten internals of rotary isolators because the connection wasn't properly tightened, which is precisely the reason for the non-combustible CU requirement.

If you take that logic on the rotary isolator then the same would apply to a double pole switch for an immersion heater....

therefore NIC are wrong.

It says switchgear assemblies, not assemblies of switchgear. They're different things.

If you take that logic on the rotary isolator then the same would apply to a double pole switch for an immersion heater....

That was my argument too.

So...
Anyone a member of the IET and care to get some guidance in writing that we can all use?

As I read it the new regulation applies to "distribution boards" only as, apart from the non-combustible enclosure part, it also requires compliance with BS EN 61439-3.

So if an "assembly" meets a BS EN other that 61439-3 then it is not relevant to the new regulation.

See http://www.beama.org.uk/asset/7DF1EEE0-F314-452B-81E276BC561F4B89/ for the BEAMA report that is intended to clarify the amendment.

Item 4 in that report says exactly what Lee has been saying and follows that with a list of what they consider to be in and out of scope of the regulation but with the caveat "The above table provides general guidance and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of inclusions and exclusions."

"Photo-Voltaic combiner boxes" are in scope so, in future, these are going to have to be both BS EN 61439-3 compliant and non-combustible.

Last edited by a moderator:

It says switchgear assemblies, not assemblies of switchgear. They're different things.
hmmm it'd seem you're right.

In accordance with EN 60 439-1, Subparagraph2.1.1., a low-voltage switchgear and controlgearassembly is“A combination of one or more low-voltageswitching devices together with associated control,measuring, signalling, protective, regulatingequipment, etc., completely assembled under theresponsibility of the manufacturer with all theinternal electrical and mechanical interconnectionsand structural parts (…).”
http://www.nema7.com/PDF/allen_bradley_guide_switchgear-controlgear_assembly.pdf

Still not convinced that an individual isolator is really classed as being similar switch gear to a consumer unit. It's more similar to a dual pole switch than to a consumer unit - a dual pole fused switch would be more similar to a Consumer Unit due to having the fused protection within it.

Possibly in a large domestic system, such as those Worcester has some experience of, perhaps?

you'd need more than 2 inputs into the same MPPT on the inverter, which usually only happens on 20kW+ 3 phase inverters assuming dual trackers.

As earthing the metal enclosure would do bugger all for the safety of it on the DC side, I'd be inclined to stick with insulated enclosures anyway - citing regulation 712.412 as evidence to support that... "protection by the use of class 2 or equivalent insulation shall preferably be adopted on the dc side."

Reply to Domestic Installs Metal CU's also = Metal PV Isolators in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net