Discuss Domestic Kitchen Downlights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Right, I don't do a lot of domestic, if you need a DC UPS system then I'm your man.

I'm getting the kitchen redone and Kev the kitchen fitter isn't getting his hands on my cables... Yes, I know, Part P blah blah blah...

I'm looking at Halers LED down-lighters for the main working area but I would bow to those with more experience when selecting the lamps.

What do people tend to go for when selecting beam angle? Narrow or wider beam?

Ceiling is standard height, house is 1975 mid terraced so no real features inside this bland box.

Cupboards will be a light colour with slate grey worktops and lime tiled floor if that makes any difference.

I was thinking of cool white for the lighting but would warm white be better with light decor?

Cool white if you want it to look like a dentist's, warm white if you want to please the majority of customers, daylight white if you want it really "awake" bright.
Wide beam angle unless you want to be adding more lights than necessary, but if using GU10 bear in mind that the effective beam angle can alter with the way the fitting presents the lamp.

Hi Strima.
Have a look at Orbio (Ansell) 7.6w , decent stuff. I'd go for warm white 3k in most situations....cool is cold, especially in a bland box. Look for a wider angle, unless you've got your kex down.
Halers are well regarded.

I quite like JCC down lights (not the FGLED6). Problem is one mans women's brightness is another's darkness.

I prefer the look of 'cob' LED lamps as opposed the multi LED lenses. If you putting in under cupboard light, make sure you choose something in aluminium extrusion.

Ditto warm white.

i go for cool white in a kitchen. you need good light. it's a room for cooking etc., not for relaxing watching constipation street.

Without hijacking a thread or sounding like a Luddite, I fitted some £6.50 LAP downlights today in a rental property and to be honest in the ceiling I couldn't tell the finished difference from any of the £23-30 downlights I fit, just saying!:)

did our kitchen spots in 2009. ( the LED technology was poor then ). 6 x cool white 5 watt . fine for a while but eventually, 1 x 1 all died. replaced 2 years ago with minisun. all good.

JCC if you want integrated lights:

KSR or Robus fitted with megamann GU10 LED's if you want to be able to replace the lamp bulbs.

Personally I always recommend warm white

Always fit dimmable units ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would recommend warm white also, the majority of homeowners prefer this tone in kitchens although some do prefer cool white. Personally I think cool white gives the atmosphere of lab or as someone else mentioned a dentists,
With my last firm we used megaman lamps, rarely went back for failed lamps but it did happen.

Without hijacking a thread or sounding like a Luddite, I fitted some £6.50 LAP downlights today in a rental property and to be honest in the ceiling I couldn't tell the finished difference from any of the £23-30 downlights I fit, just saying!:)
I put six GU10 holders in my bathroom a few years ago, all from the pound bin in the big orange shed, chucked in some cheap and nasty LEDs for under a tenner, still going now.

My personal preference is to use GU10 LED's and Ansell Twist Lock Downlighters. I use the Enlite 5w lamps, 500 Lumens for Warm White, 520 for Cool White so plenty bright. Installed a few thousand now and not one have I had to replace.
Colour wise, if it's a wooden kitchen then definitely use Warm White, if Greys/Whites/Blacks etc the vast majority of customers my prefer Cool White(4000k).

Anyone that installs day white (6000k) lighting in a house needs their head looked at in my opinion

All, cheers for the responses. As the kitchen is going to be pretty light already I'll be going with warm white wide beam. I'll probably go with GU10 so I can swap out in the future if a colour change is needed.

My personal preference is to use GU10 LED's and Ansell Twist Lock Downlighters. I use the Enlite 5w lamps, 500 Lumens for Warm White, 520 for Cool White so plenty bright. Installed a few thousand now and not one have I had to replace.
Colour wise, if it's a wooden kitchen then definitely use Warm White, if Greys/Whites/Blacks etc the vast majority of customers my prefer Cool White(4000k).

Anyone that installs day white (6000k) lighting in a house needs their head looked at in my opinion
just fitted 17 daylight in kitchen,utility,bathroom. warm white in living rooms. 39 in total . took me 10 hours as had to remove transformers as well. customer is delighted and now has a bin bag full of trannies and 12V halogens.

and we have daylight ones in our kitchen. mrs tel loves 'em.

Reply to Domestic Kitchen Downlights in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock