Search the forum,

Discuss domestic periodic inspection confusion in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
this wont be the first time i have led myself up the garden path with notifying the correct people but im confused .
i want to get into domestic periodic inspection and testing but to add it to my domestic installer registration its an extra £300ish. the things that confuse me are: how do i do do the three PIRs i need to be assessed on without being registered to so and also why do i have to pay 300 quid for the pleasure

or do i have to notify the council in the same way as if it were a new installation and pay there rip off fees

Last edited:
this wont be the first time i have led myself up the garden path with notifying the correct people but im confused .
i want to get into domestic periodic inspection and testing but to add it to my domestic installer registration its an extra £300ish. the things that confuse me are: how do i do do the three PIRs i need to be assessed on without being registered to so and also why do i have to pay 300 quid for the pleasure

or do i have to notify the council in the same way as if it were a new installation and pay there rip off fees
All you need to do pir's is professional indemnity insurance, you can then do the 3 that you require using just normal certificates, i think the nic do the green ones or use the ones from the regs book, hope this helps;)

so what is the point in paying the nic to assess me on it

Just because some insurance companies and customers want to see Niceic on the certificates , it gives them piece of mind i suppose because if you do them off your own back the only person to say you're competent is yourself, i can't see the problem as i'm in the same boat as you but i certainly am not paying the extra £300 odd quid

Print your own Pir certificates with bold statement of your 2391 and what it portrays, with a description that Nic certificates
cannot guarantee that level of person carying out the Pir
As long as you have insurance etc you should be ok

If you intend doing a lot of pirs then the nic must be considered for work generation(I hate to have to admit this)

i see what you mean as lond as it generates enough work to warrant the extra fees.
incidentally hpw much is the going rate for domestic PIRs and would you charge a standard rate per board or charge per circuit

This way was mentioned to me,it sounds sensible
40 minutes per circuit
40 minutes per distribution board
Then a set charge for certificatiion say £20

6-way board then £150 ish
This way, able to price off the top of your head without having to see the job

Reply to domestic periodic inspection confusion in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net