Discuss Domestic smoke detectors inspection and test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S P

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been asked to inspect and cert existing smoke detectors in a rental.
Standard LD2 system. The client has quoted FSM6 form.
I've not come across these before, I found them for sale on NIC store but can't see what it entails.

What tests and equipment are needed different than the BS5839-6 form for installation?

Many thanks

Thanks Midwest, but that's the BS5839 for the installation and commissioning.

So you've not come across anyone asking for an inspection either?

I only have DI registration with NICEIC, haven't paid out for the AC van sticker as nobody has asked for it, but here are the forms I can use on the NICEIC portal. they are pdf previews but show you what you would have to fill in. If you are NICEIC/Elecsa registered the forms will when filled out have the preview text removed. I have included all the fire alarm forms on the NICEIC website. Hope they help. Obviously if you need to fill one out and are not registered you could take the pdf and crop out the boxes and paste into a new document to replicate the form removing the preview text. as long as it has the key info it should suffice.

Attachments

• fam5.pdf
    138.5 KB · Views: 15
  • fsm6.pdf
    540.6 KB · Views: 14
  • fdm5.pdf
    274.6 KB · Views: 4
  • fcm5.pdf
    148.5 KB · Views: 3
  • fvm5.pdf
    146 KB · Views: 5
Thank you very much Gavin.

I would have probably ordered a book, but wanted to know what kind of tests would be necessary first. Either way client has suggested he's happy with a note on EICR stating in working order after I told him I'll get back to him after some research. So will just check circuit, batteries, test buttons and dates.

From the form 6 you kindly linked, It appears most fields would be N/A anyway. The concern was something like #29 on the inspection schedule. If doing it properly I gather it takes expensive equipment or make do with a smoke can and heat gun/hairdryer as I found on:

IET Forums - Heat detector tester? - https://www.------.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear&catid=205&threadid=%2051192

Excuse me Miss, can I borrow your hairdryer?? lol

Reply to Domestic smoke detectors inspection and test in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net