Discuss domestic wiring on new biulds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
with me not wiring domestic properties in a long while (all commercial industrial nowdays and no jobs on side ). I have been told that all new builds
now require all L + n at the switch incase customers require fancy switches in each room or any room of their choice ,example switches that control lights from iPhone . my question is this so .

It seems the standard way know for the reason you highlighted and the ease of installing light fittings, but it is not a requirement under the regs. Some electricians wire the cable from the switch in 3 core and earth so that there is a permanent live at the light.

When you think about it we have been doing it for years with standalone PIR sensors which is essentially a switch.

It’s just common practice now to have neutral at switch instead of line at light, but I’m sure some oldies still do a loop in at light

Wasn't/isn't it a recommendation in BS7671 ?

Something along the lines of taking account of future innovations, an example being neutrals at switches ?

A consideration, not a regulation. You don’t HAVE to do it, but it’s good practice nowadays.

I hear Tommy doesn’t work on the docks any more? Something to do with union on strike???
I’m sure he and Gina will be fine though on her diner wages.

You're halfway there.

My daughter heard the song on the radio and sang along. She said it was their primary 7 anthem, and they sang it all the time at school.
My other daughter who is 18 said it was their P7 anthem too...

I told them it was mine too.... now they don’t think it’s so cool

Reply to domestic wiring on new biulds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock