• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss domestic wiring on new biulds in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bonjovi

Electrician's Arms
with me not wiring domestic properties in a long while (all commercial industrial nowdays and no jobs on side ). I have been told that all new builds
now require all L + n at the switch incase customers require fancy switches in each room or any room of their choice ,example switches that control lights from iPhone . my question is this so .

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
It seems the standard way know for the reason you highlighted and the ease of installing light fittings, but it is not a requirement under the regs. Some electricians wire the cable from the switch in 3 core and earth so that there is a permanent live at the light.

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
When you think about it we have been doing it for years with standalone PIR sensors which is essentially a switch.

It’s just common practice now to have neutral at switch instead of line at light, but I’m sure some oldies still do a loop in at light

Reactions: DPG

Andy78

Respected Member
Wasn't/isn't it a recommendation in BS7671 ?

Something along the lines of taking account of future innovations, an example being neutrals at switches ?

Ian1981

Forum Mentor
Section 599 mentions a consideration that a neutral is taken to a switch position for future fitting of electronic equipment

Reactions: DPG

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
A consideration, not a regulation. You don’t HAVE to do it, but it’s good practice nowadays.

I hear Tommy doesn’t work on the docks any more? Something to do with union on strike???
I’m sure he and Gina will be fine though on her diner wages.

DPG

Respected Member
A consideration, not a regulation. You don’t HAVE to do it, but it’s good practice nowadays.

I hear Tommy doesn’t work on the docks any more? Something to do with union on strike???
I’m sure he and Gina will be fine though on her diner wages.
You're halfway there.

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
My daughter heard the song on the radio and sang along. She said it was their primary 7 anthem, and they sang it all the time at school.
My other daughter who is 18 said it was their P7 anthem too...

I told them it was mine too.... now they don’t think it’s so cool

pirate

Regular EF Member
I do feel sorry for Tommy, but his six-string would have been much better in a nice Rioja...
still, I guess that German plonk was more within his budget.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.