Discuss dont know what to do with starting up on my own in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bighammer

Hi all I am newly qualified electrician, want to start on my own, got most things in place but do i have to register with the niciec, eca or elecsa. got all my qualifications including my 2391 so does this mean i can certifiy my own work and the work of other electrician :confused:

To certify your own work in a domestic property you have to belong to a competent person scheme. As for starting up google small business advisory its free and covers everything you need to know about running a business

Chris

Sorry Bighammer just noticed like me you are in Wales so you need to google the Welsh Development Agency same thing just a different name.

Good luck

Chris

To certify your own work in a domestic property you have to belong to a competent person scheme. As for starting up google small business advisory its free and covers everything you need to know about running a business

Chris

surely thats only for notifible works isnt it ?
surely you can certify your own minor works without being a member of a scheme cant you ?

Can someone please confirm this please?

Surely the part P membership is only necessary for notifiable works. We can certify our own minor works can't we without the need for building control getting involved ?

Yes minor works are non notifiable although they do still require a test cert for example:
Replacing accessories such as socket outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged
Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components
providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations.
Work that is not in a kitchen or special location, and does not involve a special
installation and consists of:
Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit
Adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit
Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding

Reply to dont know what to do with starting up on my own in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net