Discuss Dopey First Post in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gbrad

Apologise for my ignorance but I'm really new to this game, just recently passed my Part P and 17th.
Anyway I'll get to the point, my missus has gone out and bought a cheap flush fit bathroom light from B&Q for me to swap over.

Took the old one down, straightforward block connector inside it. The new one is where I've got the problem, it doesnt have and connector block, but 2 push in connectors at the back of the lampholder. Havent used one of these before, wanted to know whether to use chokblok and use singles from that into the back of the lampholder as the push connectors look pretty small and I cant see me fitting the existing wires into them. I don't have much cable to play with either so it would be a stretch.

Probably the most basic post in a good while but I havent come across this type of fitting before and I want to make sure I get it right cos I'm sure I'll come across it again.

Probably easier to go buy the fitting myself too next time and get something decent!

ah i see the problem straight away!!!

as detailed below

1) as you described "missus" buying stuff (serious problem)

2) B&Q (not as bad as point 1 but still bad)

3) you say you have done 17th and part P and you don't know how to fit a Light...!! (Massive problem)

im sorry if it feels like im having a dig on point 3

Ok any ways back to the post, why not get some twin and earth and strip it back from the sheath and give your self some "singles" joint them in to chock block that is attached already and then join the "extended cables" in to the push connectors, they probably good for upto 1.5mm solid cable.

steve

curiosity...!! you got a link for the new light from the B&Q site...???

Last edited by a moderator:
Where you intending to "stick" the chok box?

Hopefully NOT up in the ceiling :eek: unprotected

or

NOT in the actual lamp fitting, if it's the type of lamp I think your talking about you might have a problem with heat.

Jim

if it goes in to ceiling i would follow it "via loft" and install a JB or

Click Flow 16 Amp Push-in Connector

nice little nifty piece of kit!!

or just a standard

Chocbox Connector Cover

not sure what light he on about so cant comment on heat etc!!

Good point your on about an approved "chocbox" think gbrad was just talking about connector block. And probably a bit of that electricians tape people think we use for everything.

Can't you sleep Mr Durham Spark... You didn't have the miss fortune of going to the same dodgy indian as me tonight?
Dopey First Post {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Jim

well now you mention
:(:(

no mate i never had indian but i did have a bad gut all night, and a very very close call with the WET fart!!! had to remove boxers as they got damp!! :( mixed to gether with other fluid that should have been SOLID was not very pleasant experience!!

was night shifty buddie im a Elec Maintenance Engineer !! i work two jobs as im mad!! the domestic spark is just an enterprise i set up as a bit of fun (expensive) and eventually i hope to grow it..!

what curry you have..... chicken , lamb, beef, dog, cat...?? RAT!!!

Good point your on about an approved "chocbox" think gbrad was just talking about connector block. And probably a bit of that electricians tape people think we use for everything.

Can't you sleep Mr Durham Spark... You didn't have the miss fortune of going to the same dodgy indian as me tonight?

Jim

Its funny you should say that, i dont think i have ever used insulation tape to insulate anything. i mainly use it for taping things together and for identification purps

and makes excellent plasters
it does hold the thumb nail on rather well that I managed to rip off this summer.. again. first time is an accident the second well thats just stupid :eek: and it hurts like hell. felt like i had a two foot wide thumb throbbing faster than a 70 year old s heart in a strip bar.

Please help, I am gas safe trained and I cannot get this solder to fit underneath the fitting, I have pushed really hard but it just wont go under....

Are you still alive? How did it go?

Not sure he is...

May be we need a new obituaries section for 5day wonders that have past away

Jim

Please help, I am gas safe trained and I cannot get this solder to fit underneath the fitting, I have pushed really hard but it just wont go under....

Thats coz you need the Gas on when soldering!!

Jim

I just cant stop laughing tonight!!!!! What a great crack......Thankyou Mr and Mrs B+Q!

Long live the bread knife and cellotape part p 17th edition sparky

Last edited:
no the misses has fallen asleep on the sofa:D so thats a nice big king size for me to sleep like a star fish when I go up.

must adimit i have had good fun tonight!

better than my day of dragging 16mm 3 core SWA about!!

:(

missus has just got in from work and is not very happy, she along with the rest of her team of very nice police oficers all been given a warning for kicking the wrong door in!!! oops!!

Reply to Dopey First Post in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock