Discuss Downlighter bulbs blowing in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mickpjack

What would cause downlighter bulbs to blow after a few days of being changed?

For example, in the kitchen of a house where i'm going to be doing some work, there are four 240v halogen downlighters connected radially from the switch & some of the bulbs blow after only a few days of being changed. Some of the other rooms in the house seem to suffer from the same problem too.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

What would cause downlighter bulbs to blow after a few days of being changed?

For example, in the kitchen of a house where i'm going to be doing some work, there are four 240v halogen downlighters connected radially from the switch & some of the bulbs blow after only a few days of being changed. Some of the other rooms in the house seem to suffer from the same problem too.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

might be loose connections in the wiring.

could be the connections or the lights could be over heating due to insalation (fibreglass) which can cause the down light connections to melt and make short but probs a loose connection

WHERE IN THE COUNTRY ARE THESE LIGHTS?sorry just disabled caps lock. thats better I look after a couple of pubs in fulhamwhich are close to Stamford Bridge and Craven Cottage, they had lamps popping at the end of each match day as the local voltage suddenly fluctuated due to floods being switched off, kettles being switched on , whatever. Found out that all lamps were bought from either B&Q or HOM base, cos they are cheap. Not if you are buying three times as many they're not. imho Sylvania are a reliable choice

are all the problem light on ground floor ,i have come across this problem when the kids playing will vibrate the floor and lamps go

If they're GU10s, you could always replace them with CFL types - expensive at around six quid each, but longer lasting and cheaper to run.

Could be a loose connection. Look at the switch as well. If its a faulty switch the current could fluctuate rapidly but is not always visible to the eye at the fitting. Try changing the switch and see if that sorts it.

i'd make sure it's definitely lamp quality before you go blowing god knows how many £6 lamps for the client, i don't think they'd appreciate that on their tab :lol:

Had problems while renovating houses and fitting these lamps.
Definately had problems with poor lamp quality from toolstation and lamps in cold flat roof in winter on switch on.
Grease on fingers causes hot spots on any lamp reducing life -but dont think this is your cause.
No answer here apart from lamp quality

maybe it could be an accessory they are using in the house causing problems.

a dodgy hairdryer, or old iron, antuique tumble dryer/washing machine etc. could cause some nuisance tripping and also blow the lights if they are on at the time...

maybe??

I also find the ones that come with the fitting if they from diy stores are usually of inferior quality and dont last long, i then replace with ones from wholesaler and theres usually not a problem. dave

Reply to Downlighter bulbs blowing in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock