Discuss Downlights/Spots replaced with pendant - is cable OK? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

ydrol

Hi my dining room is two rooms knocked into one. About 20ft by 10ft.

I recently had an electrician replace 6 rather ugly down-lights (R80 spots) with two pendants at each end, as I plan to rent the house at some point in the future, and this would be more practical and economical arrangement.

Anyway, The electricians had to run new cables (spurs?) to the pendant locations, I was happy with the work but my mate said that he thinks the cable is too flush to the ceiling.

Note that I am getting a plasterer to skim the ceiling flat in the near future to give it a modern look. The electrician was aware of this.

What do you think , should the cables have been recessed more?

Downlights/Spots replaced with pendant - is cable OK? 20160209_145707 - EletriciansForums.netDownlights/Spots replaced with pendant - is cable OK? 20160209_145732 - EletriciansForums.netDownlights/Spots replaced with pendant - is cable OK? 20160209_145801 - EletriciansForums.netDownlights/Spots replaced with pendant - is cable OK? 20160209_145700 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
the better option would have been to drill through the joists > 50mm above ceiling. however, that would entail either cutting several large holes in the ceiling or lifting a few floorboards in the room above.

That is a bodge, it would be far more normal to run cables through holes in the joists and not chip little bits of ceiling out. Normally this is done by lifting floors above, but if you are having the ceiling skimmed anyway then hols can be cut in the ceiling and the work done from below.

Last edited:
personally. i can't see a problem. it's no worse than switch drops in the wall .

That is a bodge, it would be far more normal to run cables through holes in the joists and not chip little bits of ceiling out. Normally this is done by lifting floors above, but if you are having the ceiling skimmed anyway then hols can be cut in the ceiling and the work done from below.
That is exactly how I have one it in the past, knowing the ceiling is going to be skimmed anyway hat does it matter if you have a few extra holes to repair? I have cut 6inch holes I the past to allow a angle drill in and made sure the joist are drilled 50m from the ceiling.
A clients husband once walked in as I was finishing pulling cables through holes this size and said; " Blimey, what size down-lights has she asked for?"

Out of interest, is the circuit protected by an RCD? Daz

That is exactly how I have one it in the past, knowing the ceiling is going to be skimmed anyway hat does it matter if you have a few extra holes to repair? I have cut 6inch holes I the past to allow a angle drill in and made sure the joist are drilled 50m from the ceiling.
A clients husband once walked in as I was finishing pulling cables through holes this size and said; " Blimey, what size down-lights has she asked for?"

I just cut one long strip out of the ceiling along the length of the room, then screw it back up to the joists when finished,

it's not as if some div. is going to screw a spoon rack through the cable, is it? that would mean another part pee.

Tricky one as safe zones don't make any mention of ceilings however the guidance is that cables installed above ceilings should be a minimum of 50mm above the ceiling surface to prevent damage. I agree with davesparks....it's a lazy bodge.
Lets hope the end user doesn't hang Christmas decs with drawing pins like someone I know does....might be their last Christmas.

looks like artex to me, may have asbestos in it so be careful if you want to do any big holes. better left alone in my opinion, just dont bang any nails into that ceiling...

Yes, I'm trying to get the age of the Artex checked, but I suspect it is around 2000.
Good point about the Crimbo decorations! I'll get a statement from electrician as he has not issued certificate yet, but will make sure that is mentioned on any tenancy agreement if it's not changed.

In my opinion that's a terrible job, Fair enough if the ceiling was being studded off and lowered, It might not be against any regs but it just screams laziness,
OP was it possible to get floorboards up above?

In my opinion that's a terrible job, Fair enough if the ceiling was being studded off and lowered, It might not be against any regs but it just screams laziness,
OP was it possible to get floorboards up above?

With the ceiling being plastered anyway I'd not normally consider the floorboards above, just make holes in the ceiling. Unless of course there's a loft above

Cables above ceilings wouldn't normally get damaged because they are normally just draped on top and they would be pushed out of the way by a drawing pin or nail. These ones are up against the joists and so cannot move. I don't like it, and wouldn't want it like that in my house or in one I was renting out. Now is the time to get it right - as Davesparks says above, the ceiling is being plastered anyway, so nice and easy. Daz

i done it like that once. brand new house. artex ceiling and laminate floor above. no way was the customer going to accept 4" holes in the ceiling. ( i did notch the joists though, so it would require a nail longer tha 1" to reach the cable).

Reply to Downlights/Spots replaced with pendant - is cable OK? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock