Discuss Drill for new job role? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rcaslake

Hi all, I am due to start a new role as an electrical maintenance apprentice and need to buy myself a drill.. can anyone reccomend a certain drill/deal or give any tips when deciding which type/voltage/Ah battery to choose?

'Many thanks

Brushless 18v Dewalt Combi gets my vote.

All are as good as the other to be fair.

Panasonic are cracking but you'll pay a premium.

Have you been told that YOU have to buy one?
As an employee I've never had to buy one and I certainly wouldn't expect an apprentice to have to buy one.

It's not a good sign for the future if you have to buy one now.

Have you been told that YOU have to buy one?
As an employee I've never had to buy one and I certainly wouldn't expect an apprentice to have to buy one.

It's not a good sign for the future if you have to buy one now.

All my other hand tools, multimeter, testers and toolbox are provided. But i was advised that a drill would be benefitial. I guess it's not considered essential. I believe they have drills but only a couple throughout the department.

If it's maintenance then the 10.8 range by Bosch or makita or metabo would do a great job at haLf the size to carry - I've been using the Bosch 10.8 and aside from not having a hammer on the drill they both have been excellent on 3amphour batteries. Food for thought, doesn't help the choice though!

All my other hand tools, multimeter, testers and toolbox are provided. But i was advised that a drill would be benefitial. I guess it's not considered essential. I believe they have drills but only a couple throughout the department.

That's not your problem.

If you really want to provide your own drill for work, then get in writing that the company will maintain, repair, and replace the drill and all associated parts and equipment, through needs arising from general wear and tear, damage, loss, and theft. Plus ensure that their work insurance will cover you for use of the personally owned drill whilst at work on their premises.

If they cannot ensure all of the above, tell them no.

Reply to Drill for new job role? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net