Discuss Dual Fuel Meter Installer / Fixer interview ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm a qualified domestic gas engineer and have a dual fuel meter installer interview next week, the job will involve installing single and three phase meters.

I don't hold any electrical quals (the company are aware of this) but obviously I want to get a heads up before the interview, there will be an electrical practical test and some electrical questions.

Could anyone shed some light on the type of practical test / questions I should expect relating to the single and three phase meters? Also are there any sources on the internet I could use to gather more information.

Any help massively appreciated, had my eye on this type of job for a while so want to give myself as much of a chance as possible.

Cheers.

The only thing you need to remember with whole current meters are polarity and phase rotation in the case of poly phase meters.

They'll be more interested in knowing you can work safely and leave the installation safe.
There have been a few incidents recently of meter fixers leaving sites with Live and Neutral reversed, if it isn't already it should be instant dismissal.

You'll need to recognise the connections, mark them and refit them in the correct locations in the new meters.

I'd certainly bloody hope so mate but apparently not. Another nail in the coffin of our trade

You could say it's for a gas engineer with necessary electrical experience/qualifications or an electrician with necessary gas experience/qualifications.

I know they are going to offer the relevant training for the right people so what's the problem? How is it a nail in the coffin of the electricians trade? By the look of the responses I've had on here and other forums, electricians wouldn't be interested in this type of work anyway!

Thanks for the helpful posts above (not the cynics!), could still do with some helpful information about single and three phase meters if possible please.

Thanks.

Would they accept someone with no gas quals and have me changing gas meters after a couple of weeks training? I suspect not. My post wasn't intended as a dig at you personally and if that's the way it came across then I apologise.
As you say, you're going to be trained by the company so I wouldn't worry too much. It may be an idea to try to contact one of the current team of installers and ask them what the practical tests involve.

Reply to Dual Fuel Meter Installer / Fixer interview ... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock