Discuss E14 candle led bulbs base getting hot. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

nickjaxe

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi guys...bought so E14 5w 470lm candle type bulbs today to replace some that were loosing the brightness.
I was quite surprised to find the plastic base gets quite hot cant keep your fingers on them...the glass part is not overlay hot.

And for some reason after fitting they need a further 1/2 a turn to tighten into the holders after being switch on for a while...

They are e-luminate brand at £1.30 each made in China.

Should I be concerned.

Nick.

Hi guys...bought so E14 5w 470lm candle type bulbs today to replace some that were loosing the brightness.
I was quite surprised to find the plastic base gets quite hot cant keep your fingers on them...the glass part is not overlay hot.

And for some reason after fitting they need a further 1/2 a turn to tighten into the holders after being switch on for a while...

They are e-luminate brand at £1.30 each made in China.

Should I be concerned.

Nick.
yes. chinese crap.

Both your issues point to poor contact between lamp and socket.

So I take it they should not get hot.....or work loose?
No Nick, they shouldn't. They do not sound safe. It's tempting to buy cheap LED's on ebay but there is a reason why they are cheap. Electrical items are not really the place to try and a save a few pennies. Buy from a reputable local wholesaler.

Bought them from the big chain...Home Bargain.
Are they not all made in a big factory in China?

e-luminate have a UK email customer care dept...I have emailed them...

I've come across a whole bunch of LED bulbs sorry lamps that get hot too in varying degrees; I believe this is because of the design of a heat sink in the lamp base to draw away the heat from the led's.

And depending on who you chose to believe, LED manufactures have bases in the US, Europe as well as the Far East. So you could have US crap. :)

They all get hot, they take 5w and despite the relative efficiency of Leds the majority of the Electricity ends up as heat. So you've got several Watts coming out somewhere on the unit. If the fitting is enclosed it can cause the bulb to overheat and shorten the life of the electronics, but if it's open to the room then it should be ok.
The loosening thing shouldn't happen but it's a feature of Edison screw.

I've seen some with hot bases, the power supply was just a resistor (the hot part) and a diode.

Calling them light bulbs is perfectly acceptable, don't worry. :)
That's what I think.
I was in electrifix the other day with lots of other electricians in there and somehow we got on to the subject of light bulbs. I plucked up the courage to ask for a show of hands between who calls then 'light bulbs' or 'lamps'. Nobody went for 'lamps', they hadn't even heard a light bulb being referred to as such! Imagine saying 'lamp' to a customer, they'd picture some old victorian gas lamp! :)

That's what I think.
I was in electrifix the other day with lots of other electricians in there and somehow we got on to the subject of light bulbs. I plucked up the courage to ask for a show of hands between who calls then 'light bulbs' or 'lamps'. Nobody went for 'lamps', they hadn't even heard a light bulb being referred to as such! Imagine saying 'lamp' to a customer, they'd picture some old victorian gas lamp! :)
I once went into a busy Electricfix and plucked up the courage to ask for a show of hands of who was an electrician, all I got was stares from the builders and diyers.

Reply to E14 candle led bulbs base getting hot. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock