Search the forum,

Discuss EAL Course in Inspection and Testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

I honestly can't see the point (and never have done) of open book exams, what are they actually proving to either the student or to anyone else, ...that you can read a book?? One thing's for sure, none of these open book examinations warrant a level 3 rating. Oh and it might seem like bollox to some, but the whole point of an examination is to gauge what you have learnt and have retained in the brain box after completing a subjects course!! Hell it's been the basis of examinations for hundreds of years in just about every country in the world, but now it's all bollox is it?? I think we all know where the bollox lay's!! lol!!

It seems that everything in the world of education from schools to colleges, now resolves around making things easier to enable those not so gifted able to pass exams that realistically shouldn't of been offered the course(s) in the first place.

The 17th edition is an open book exam as it is not what you know but one of you know were to look for the correct reg.

Personally I think if it was a closed book exam hardly any one would pass.

The 17th edition is an open book exam as it is not what you know but one of you know were to look for the correct reg.

Personally I think if it was a closed book exam hardly any one would pass.

I just find that excuse so lame, why if that's the case even bother with a final exam??.... Still not worth, with any stretching of the imagination a level 3 rating, that's just a pure nonsense!!

You're probably right, and seeing as this is basically the main qualification these 17 day and Electrical Trainee actually hold, it may have served to seriously curtail the numbers of these chancers if it were a closed book exam!! ...lol!!

I honestly can't see the point (and never have done) of open book exams, what are they actually proving to either the student or to anyone else, ...that you can read a book?? One thing's for sure, none of these open book examinations warrant a level 3 rating. Oh and it might seem like bollox to some, but the whole point of an examination is to gauge what you have learnt and have retained in the brain box after completing a subjects course!! Hell it's been the basis of examinations for hundreds of years in just about every country in the world, but now it's all bollox is it?? I think we all know where the bollox lay's!! lol!!

It seems that everything in the world of education from schools to colleges, now resolves around making things easier to enable those not so gifted able to pass exams that realistically shouldn't of been offered the course(s) in the first place.

Have never understood all this level 2, level 3 to give a comparison of knowledge level between various industries having a level 3 in coffee making has no comparison in the electrical industry as it's part of a first year apprentice's duties the thing is an exam is what it is it is a test of retained knowledge

It can't be that far away that the exam options for answers will be

1. Use the book
2. Ask a forum
3. Phone a friend
4. All of the above

The problem with the industry is that people taking courses are being taught to pass the exam and not to understand why the answer is what it is, all too many places now run the course based on past papers and getting students to learn the answers and regurgitate them parrot fashion in the exam

Have never understood all this level 2, level 3 to give a comparison of knowledge level between various industries having a level 3 in coffee making has no comparison in the electrical industry as it's part of a first year apprentice's duties the thing is an exam is what it is it is a test of retained knowledge

It can't be that far away that the exam options for answers will be

1. Use the book
2. Ask a forum
3. Phone a friend
4. All of the above

The problem with the industry is that people taking courses are being taught to pass the exam and not to understand why the answer is what it is, all too many places now run the course based on past papers and getting students to learn the answers and regurgitate them parrot fashion in the exam

Couldn't agree more with you

Hi I completed the Initial Verification and Inspection and Testing course at the NICEIC training facility at Chesterfield, the course content is the same whether you opt for the C&G exams or the EAL exams and just to clarify the EAL is not open book and the NICEIC recognise both qualifications.

Hi I completed the Initial Verification and Inspection and Testing course at the NICEIC training facility at Chesterfield, the course content is the same whether you opt for the C&G exams or the EAL exams and just to clarify the EAL is not open book and the NICEIC recognise both qualifications.

I fail to understand except maybe profiteering, how or why this initial verification ticket exists or why it needs promoting as some sort of industry achievement

It is a natural part of the training of any electrician, he most certainly should not need such a qualification if that training is adequate
Where did this particular verification nonsense begin?

What the NICEIC recognise and what an employer recognise are 2 totally different things.

EAL is an open book exam, my mate did it.

Clearly states open book exam! You get to take guidance not 3 in the exam with you.

EAL Level 3 Award In The Periodic Inspection, Testing And Certification Of Electrical Installations SPECIAL OFFER - Total Electrical Training

They also recognise 17 day whizzers and electrical trainee's as being trained to competent status!! Now what does that tell you about NICEIC??

Reply to EAL Course in Inspection and Testing in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net