Discuss Earth loop fault impedance help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I’m a student learning about industrial wiring and circuits and we’re about to start learning about how to do loop impedance calculations. I have made a drawing of a three phase installation and was wondering if anyone could give me information on how I get the Ze Zs and R1 + R2. How would I do this with a three wire loop impedance meter and also how would I do it without one. Any help is appreciated, just trying to get my head round it first before we start the lessons. Photo is attached.

Attachments

• D7714230-606E-4F61-A859-D85420B548C8.jpeg
    267.8 KB · Views: 24
Ze at the live side of the main isolator with earth disconnected, so isolator OFF. now you have a go at how to get R1+R2 and we cannthen see if you have ther right approach.

Ze at the live side of the main isolator with earth disconnected, so isolator OFF. now you have a go at how to get R1+R2 and we cannthen see if you have ther right approach.
0.5ohm with earth disconnected and testing the earth back to the supply with the loop impedance meter. How do I get R1 and r2 and can you get it without a meter. Thanks

R1 is the phase conductor. R2 is the cpc. add them and get R1+R2, or short 1 end and measure in 1 hit. you need a meter set on continuity (low ohms). measure each phase-E. all 3 should be the same reading.

r1 and r2 (lower case) denotes end-end for a ring. important that you distinguish. you measure from isolator to control panel then from panel to motor and add them together.

,multimtercon ohmscand MFT on ohms should give same readings for R1 and R2 etc.. a multimeter can't measure Zs which is a live test.

,multimtercon ohmscand MFT on ohms should give same readings for R1 and R2 etc.. a multimeter can't measure Zs which is a live test.
I think I understand now. I’ve attached my notes. I then add my r1 R2 reading to my Ze reading to get my zs? Does this all look correct ? Thanks

Attachments

• 5B68CFC3-1CA4-4C41-8E23-793CE3E521A8.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 9
I think I understand now. I’ve attached my notes. I then add my r1 R2 reading to my Ze reading to get my zs? Does this all look correct ? Thanks
yes but please get into the habit or R1 as opposed to r1. etc. 2 entirely different measurements. in an exam you'd be marked down otherwise.

Reply to Earth loop fault impedance help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net