Discuss Earth Rod Connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pip

-
Reaction score
Is this an acceptable connection to an earth rod?

And is the water bond really necessary? (New duel RCD board recently fitted)

Attachments

• 20200708_100123.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200708_104603.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 88
Hi - that rod looks like it’s seriously rusted so I would not have used it myself. I doubt the clamp has made good connection through that rust, so for me it’s not ok.

Bonding to water may not be required if the incoming main is plastic and there are tests to confirm.

Hi - that rod looks like it’s seriously rusted so I would not have used it myself. I doubt the clamp has made good connection through that rust, so for me it’s not ok.

Bonding to water may not be required if the incoming main is plastic and there are tests to confirm.

Yes my thoughts exactly, A new board was fitted in April, and the earth/bonding cables upgraded, this is how it was done.

I've reconfigured some circuits in the property and have replaced this connection with a larger clamp, and have a Ze reading of 190 ohm. (Previously fluctuating to any number you want) And have brought the Zs readings down from 213 to 63.7
Will discuss with the client replacing for a new rod.

Incoming main is plastic, and I know they renewed the gas pipe only a year ago also.

Rod is too close to the building. try a new rod ( screwed togehter rods down to about 12 ft. surround rod with a bag of cat litter.

rods are never copper. steel with a few microns of copper coating. tapes may be copper, like lightning conductors. that's why the pikeys nick 'em.

Reply to Earth Rod Connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I’m not working on this… not yet anyway, but can someone tell me why there’s a fuse or a link on the earth here? The green wire is bonded to...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I own a country Villa out in the Spain countryside. Was having problems with water pressure so local tradesmen advised to get a water...
Replies
Views
TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views
5 single phases to one huge property. Backup generator which can take about 106 amps split between 2 phases - 1 phase will be wired through...
Replies
Views
So was on a call out today and cooker circuit kept tripping the RCD. Disconnected at the board and at the cooker switch and IR’d the cable and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock