Discuss Earth Rod on TN-CS in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markthespark

Hi ive been working at a place where a guy has been out to test the installation and found some problems i was sent to rectfy these.

On one part fo the installation, he mentioned that the main earth was a TN-CS system but didnt comply because there was an earth rod also installed.

Whats wrong with having an earth rod installed on a TN-CS system is it something to do with different potenials?

Ive asked a couple of people and knowone knows the correct answer.

Any ideas chaps?

Cheers

Mark

read the defintion of a TN-C-S system in Part 2 Defeneitions in BS7671:2001, in particular the diagram for a TN-C-S

the write up underneath specifically says that an earth rod may be required at the consumers installation (or words close to that, aint got the regs in front of me)

TN-C-S is called a PME or protective multiple earthing .
Regular joints are earthed out via rods in the ground. In case the combined neutral earth open-circuit. This happens more often than you would think.
So any reading Ze higher than 0.35 has to be reported, because the Zs is compromised.

Reply to Earth Rod on TN-CS in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock