Discuss Earthing for CU Change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SKY

Starting to 2nd question myself before doing my Part P inspection - have 2330 L2 and L3 plus 2392 and 17th edition.
I have lots of commercial experience with big industrial machines and motors but I do fall down on domestic.

The CU change I have booked is a PME install, under 17th edition I understand that I have to connect to the main water pipe and the main gas pipe using 10mm cable (after checking).

On other install I have done I have connected the earth from an earth terminal next to the meter - PME does not have this.

So

I'm guessing that the main earthing conductors are connected inside the CU on the earth bar and then feed out to the gas and water pipe?

Thanks All

You can use the earth bar in the CU as the MET or put an external one in, really up to you.

As for 10mm main bonding, if there's 6mm in place and there's no sign of damage, overheating, arcing etc you could get away with it if it entails a lot of work putting new stuff in.

you could fit your own MET near the CCU

Or do you mean that there isnt a earth connection point for TN-C-S at the suppliers overcurrent protective device were is the existing earthing conductor connected ?

You can use the earth bar in the CU as the MET or put an external one in, really up to you.

As for 10mm main bonding, if there's 6mm in place and there's no sign of damage, overheating, arcing etc you could get away with it if it entails a lot of work putting new stuff in.
the adiabatic at P 160...543.1.3 will calculate this....

A couple of main points aswell Sky, the earth clamp needs to be within 600mm of the gas/water incomer (or as close as physically possible). The bonding conductor needs to be one complete length without any terminations (apart from in the met internal or external of the board.

Good luck with your assessment and go to bed, its late :).

A couple of main points aswell Sky, the earth clamp needs to be within 600mm of the gas/water incomer (or as close as physically possible). The bonding conductor needs to be one complete length without any terminations (apart from in the met internal or external of the board.

Good luck with your assessment and go to bed, its late :).

LOL: off to bed now - Thanks for all for the advise.
Water service I can get right after the stopcock - the gas is underground and pops up close to the main water service stopcock so will pick it up there.
Hoping that the ELECSA guy will be happy with that as I can't do much more than that!

If both incoming services are next to one another like you say, you can use one earth cable for both. On the second clamp remove the sheath to terminate to the screw on the clamp without cutting the wire.

Hi paul
and before any branchwork also
yes its late so why you still up lol

Mate i am turning into a insomniac

especially with this JOB I am doing for me bruvs getting sleepless nights lol over it

unlike my bruvs which is within 600mm but after a water filter 1cm copper pipe then a Plastic Tee
I used the wander lead yes its 0.02 at the pipe side of the clamp but before the Tee and on the other outlet of the tee about 80ohms
I hate plastic pipework and fittings

People forget that water is a poor conductor and pure H2O is an issolator. Think car batteries?

I'm off to bed, up in five hours, on a new project I'll pm you tomorrow brucelee.

yeah mate

i am to as I am up early also as need to sort the many issues with this house

easiest way would be flatten it and start agin lol

Night mate

Reply to Earthing for CU Change. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock