Discuss Earthing for domestic house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Please could you help my friend, who is having electrical work done at his house?

…The ground wires in his house all go to the consumer unit (main fuse box) and there they connect to the Neutral of the incoming mains power supply. In other words his "earth" is the neutral of the mains.

He is now going to Install an electricity kiosk at the edge of his land where the incoming supply and the meter will go. He asked the electrician what to do about grounding, and he said "nothing". Is this correct?

Anyway, Subsequently, his electrician brought another electrician over for advice, who said he actually needs to place two grounding rods into the ground, one next to the kiosk and one next to the property, some 35 m away.

Do you know if this is correct?

Would I be right in saying that the determining factor here is the (albeit rare) situation of “Lost Neutral conductor” in the three phase system somewhere “upstream” of his supply? As is known. “Lost Neutral conductor” is the scourge of mains supply systems the world over, since it can mean Live to Neutral voltages going up to Line-to-Line levels, that is, UK mains Live-to-Neutral in someone’s house could go up to 415VAC.

Presumably, if someone has a local earthing rod near to their house, then these overvoltages would be less likely during situations of “Lost Neutral Conductor”?

As the supply is being moved to the edge of the property line the distribution network operator will inform you friend of what type of earth will be supplied.

As the earth is already tied to the neutral, TNC-S, then it is a good bet that this will not change. I cannot see any need for additional earth electrodes unless a car charging point, or similar, is being added.

The ground wires in his house all go to the consumer unit (main fuse box) and there they connect to the Neutral of the incoming mains power supply

The neutral and earth should not connect in the consumer unit, only the network operator is allowed to connect them in the service terminal equipment (head) to create a TN-C-S system. I suppose this is what he means?

Would I be right in saying that the determining factor here is the (albeit rare) situation of “Lost Neutral conductor” in the three phase system somewhere “upstream” of his supply?

You are confusing two related but different scenarios that can happen separately or together:
a) A lost/broken neutral conductor in a 3-phase system, causing voltage imbalance and possible L-N overvoltage.
b) A lost/broken PEN conductor (combined neutral and earth) in any system, causing the main earth of a TN-C-S system and everything connected or bonded to it, to rise above local true earth potential.

Hopefully the electrician will have sufficient knowledge of the relative merits of TT and TN systems to determine the best way to earth the new installation.

Reply to Earthing for domestic house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock