Discuss EICR ....I was amazed ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I am by no means an expert but having just successfully completed my 2391-52 I was interested to be passed this EICR and see some of the observations.

I have removed the inspectors details but he/they are NICEIC approved contractors and have been in the industry for many years.

I appreciate that it is the inspector who makes an assessment of all the defects and reports and categorises them as he see's fit but we are given guidance as to what should be a C1.

No RCD protection is often discussed on this forum and I am aware that if the installation has no RCD protection but all supp bonding is in place then its a C3. If there is no RCD protection and no supp bonding then its a C2.

This installation has reportedly got supp bonding but no RCD so has been coded C1 ??

No isolator switch on cooker circuit C1 !! . I wasnt aware that it needed an isolator switch, I understood it needed a means of safe isolation which could be at the CU at the MCB albeit inconvenient.

EICR ....I was amazed ! 20190517_194354 - EletriciansForums.net

EICR ....I was amazed ! Screenshot_20190517-193900_WhatsA - EletriciansForums.net

EICR ....I was amazed ! Screenshot_20190517-193829_WhatsA - EletriciansForums.net

EICR ....I was amazed ! Screenshot_20190517-193812_WhatsA - EletriciansForums.net

EICR ....I was amazed ! Screenshot_20190517-193756_WhatsA - EletriciansForums.net

C1 for not having RCDs for fault protection, when the earthing system is TN-C-S with very low earth fault loop readings.
Guess he must be trying to make it look like the CU is really bad to get some more work out of it.

A thoroughly professional certificate...…...if you haven't the faintest idea what you're looking at.
…..and that's another reason why shysters and kn*****ds are able to get away with such cr@p.
Said it before and will say it again.....'domestic' is falling apart, 'commercial' is following …..and I'm seeing some very worrying signs in 'industrial'.

Shouldn't there be some kind of independent mediator for EICR's to confirm or dispute the inspectors finding? seen some terrible reports lately either the inspector hasnt got a clue or is digging for remedial work, this isnt fair on the client or genuine inspectors.

I have just got an eicr from a landlord, she has a number of hmos. I will be doing the first eicr in a fortnight - got 8 students in it and quite large, was a former refuge for domestic abused women. I said to her with the report i include images and the regulation relevant to the coding. And am happy to meet her at the house to walk through the findings.
I will quote for any remedials and encourage her to get other quotes for peace of mind. If she goes elsewhere then thats okay. Likewise i would do the work if she wants to go ahead.
She said im the first electrician to actually work like that. Said previous ones had literally just walked around the house and didnt test a lot of stuff as the communal areas such as hallway, all entrances and by the cu which was in cupboard with washing machines etc all had cctv in. Cover came off for all of 30 minutes.
Said the report had limitations, not verified and results completely different to previous reports which were all near enough the same.
She reported him to elecsa who said as he is not approved for eicrs with them and didnt use logo then there is nothing they can do other than write a letter saying go careful. She refused to pay invoice and he got aggressive. He is now a multi trade outfit doing full refurbs!! Apparently fully qualified plumber, electrician and general builder all by the age of 28!!
An eicr is only as good as the person doing it and how much time, skill and effort they use.

@Luke238 I don't think you have much of a choice but report it to the company & if your client has no joy then report to NICEIC. None of the governing bodies would like that, and they should do something about it. This sort of rip off give our trade a bad name, needs stamping out!!

....Apparently fully qualified plumber, electrician and general builder all by the age of 28!!....
This is how the modern world works now... it's all about having certificates ! Even the cycling proficiency "test" is now an "award" !

I have just got an eicr from a landlord, she has a number of hmos. I will be doing the first eicr in a fortnight - got 8 students in it and quite large, was a former refuge for domestic abused women. I said to her with the report i include images and the regulation relevant to the coding. And am happy to meet her at the house to walk through the findings.
I will quote for any remedials and encourage her to get other quotes for peace of mind. If she goes elsewhere then thats okay. Likewise i would do the work if she wants to go ahead.
She said im the first electrician to actually work like that. Said previous ones had literally just walked around the house and didnt test a lot of stuff as the communal areas such as hallway, all entrances and by the cu which was in cupboard with washing machines etc all had cctv in. Cover came off for all of 30 minutes.
Said the report had limitations, not verified and results completely different to previous reports which were all near enough the same.
She reported him to elecsa who said as he is not approved for eicrs with them and didnt use logo then there is nothing they can do other than write a letter saying go careful. She refused to pay invoice and he got aggressive. He is now a multi trade outfit doing full refurbs!! Apparently fully qualified plumber, electrician and general builder all by the age of 28!!
An eicr is only as good as the person doing it and how much time, skill and effort they use.
Fair do's for that, Gav. If you want the work, I hope you get it, at a fair price, of course. I just hope you're lucky with the landlord and she realises what's involved and is prepared to pay for it.
As you know, lots of landlords involved couldn't care less and just want something with a logo and signature....so they can get the cash coming in.
We had some remedials at a very high class golf club, with some very famous members, after a T+I by a major, nationally known company. They did the absolute minimum and really made a pig's ear of it. All seventy odd pages were put together very professionally.....probably by an accounts clerk.

I will say thanks to the OP for posting this. The more EICR’s or codings we share the better I think. It seems the norm for a bit of healthy discussion as to what code to give. The regs can be ambiguous and open to interpretation to a point - but this report is way off - C1 happy.

C1 is of course ‘immediate danger’ - which to me suggests ‘turn it off NOW!’

- saying that I do give C1’s for things like missing blanks in consumer units - as this seems to be the suggested code, but hesitate in giving that coding as it seems less likely that someone will get hurt than an exposed live cable end close to a child’s sand-pit.

Perhaps the person carrying out the report was working to 18th edition ‘new installation’ standards, and forgetting that the installation only needs to be compliant with the regs at the time of install? That might explain some of it?
Who knows.

It gives me the impression it was a slap dash inspection with little time spent reviewing his results. I have asked the client for a copy of the quote for the remedial work as I expect that it will be crazy high

The report refers to a beeping from the hard wired smoke alarms, my experience suggests that the battery needs replacing. Probably quicker to replace the battery than write up the observation although not as lucrative !

It gives me the impression it was a slap dash inspection with little time spent reviewing his results. I have asked the client for a copy of the quote for the remedial work as I expect that it will be crazy high

The report refers to a beeping from the hard wired smoke alarms, my experience suggests that the battery needs replacing. Probably quicker to replace the battery than write up the observation although not as lucrative !

Agree with that - I’d carry out that complex ‘further investigation’ - and put a battery in!

Global I.R. testing too, lazy and sloppy IMO, and a Ze of 0.12 ohms obtained 'by enquiry' ?? The local DNO must be really on the case there eh. :D
I don't agree that Global IR testing is lazy and sloppy. Often on EICR's disconnecting neutrals for a particular circuit is difficult at best, sometimes nigh on impossible, particularly as it is best practice to test and inspect with as little dismantling and disturbance as is reasonable. If a global IR test gives a satisfactory reading then all final circuits will have been verified as having a satisfactory IR reading. That is the purpose of an EICR. A blanket statement that global testing is lazy and sloppy simply does not take into account site conditions.

Reply to EICR ....I was amazed ! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock