Discuss EICR no RCD given a C2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Robert51

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently had an EICR done on my residential let. The property is a 1-bed flat in London on the 8th floor, about 10 to 15 years old.

The EICR has not been issued but the electrcian has said as things stand, it is unsatisfactory with a C2 rating. This is due to the the fuse boxes did not have RCD for all the circuits in the flat (specifically the lighting and socket circuits). It has the older MCB instead. The electrician has recommended the boxes be changed to an RCD one which will cost about £600 or an RCBO for £750 in order for the EICR to be satisfactory and no other issues were observed and all the wiring were great.

I was slightly surprised by this. I've been reading up regulations since just to learn a bit more about what is required.

I completely do not mind remediating something that is required, however, I don't want to be taken for a ride and scared into installing something that is a nice to have. I have read that not having RCD is does not necessarily result in an unsatisfactory report but it's will result in a recommendation only to upgrade. What a C2 rating means is that it's not safe for continued use. However, if this is the case, surely most of the properties out there would fail the EICR which doesn't make sense to me especially given it's a new building.

I'm stuck between getting another electrician to do another EICR or not, however, I don't know enough to determine whether what the current electrician is saying is correct. I was charged £90 for the EICR.

Any advice here would be really appreciated!

Many thanks.

until you get the report you can’t see what the observation was for, no RCD’s could lead to a C2 depending on the equipment in the flat ie outdoor sockets (in an 8th floor flat it’s unlikely for this to be the case) the bonding may be non exsistant or lacking and maybe the electrician found some wiring outside of regulation zones which in my book would cause a c2 if there was a high chance of a picture nail being put through a cable which is out side of a zone perhaps ??‍♂️
£90 for an eicr in London is laughable and I’m impressed he could see the boards lack of rcd protection from the comfort of his van parked out the front.
Once you have received the report and can see his observations post what they say before anyone can give you a definitive answer either way.

If you have paid the £90 for the report, then insist you receive a copy, and perhaps post the findings on here for comment (redact your personal details, and the name of the person/company that carried it out).

As mentioned, there are some reasons why lack of an RCD might mean a C2, but it might well be these codes should only be a C3.

Once you receive the report and if you are still not happy to could raise the issue with the body he is registered with, ie. napit NICEIC, etc
And that’s the laughable bit. There is no requirement to be a member of any scheme to carry out an EICR. In fact, no level of competence in electrical work of any sort is mandated.

It sounds like a similar situation to the mot for £20 stories.

£90 is a joke for an EICR. Maybe he did it to try and get his foot in the door for remedial work - which seems more on the expensive side funnily enough.

Get a copy of the EICR

Thanks for the reply all.

Regarding the £90, it was likely due to the fact I had multiple EICR done with him. I asked around on MyBuilder and RatedPeople websites and the quotes were around £90 - £120. Is this a good range from your experiences?

I did ask the tenants how long he actually took and they said around 45 minutes with certainty.

I will get a hold of the report and post it here.

Thank you.

Thanks for the reply all.

Regarding the £90, it was likely due to the fact I had multiple EICR done with him. I asked around on MyBuilder and RatedPeople websites and the quotes were around £90 - £120. Is this a good range from your experiences?

I did ask the tenants how long he actually took and they said around 45 minutes with certainty.

I will get a hold of the report and post it here.

Thank you.
Best I can do an EICR in is 4 hours, maybe get that down if doing lots of identical properties.

When you get the report have a look through the inspection schedule and ask yourself "has all this been checked in 45mins"

Hell, it takes me that long to fill the forms in.

My minimum is £120 for a 1 bed flat in Cambridgeshire and not the posh bit. That still takes me just under two hours to complete for roughly four circuits.

10 circuits in an occupied place I’d allow a full day for.....£300
I would add I’d rather not even do it in an occupied place, it can be a nightmare

Last edited:
They are occupied.
Best to discuss it with the occupiers so they know what is happening and why.

Gives them time to tidy and/or move personal stuff before some stranger is going through the house inspecting all sockets, light switches, etc, and so they know the power (and, horrors of horrors, the Wi-Fi!) will be off for some time.

. I asked around on MyBuilder and RatedPeople websites
That’s your problem, right there.
These are places where people pay money to advertise themselves. Any reviews can be their relatives, or themselves.

Would you say yes to a man in your local High Street carrying a sign saying
“I’m an electrician, I can inspect your electrics and give you a report”??

That is what these sites do.

You’ve thrown your money away.

Haha MyBuilder ?? £90 for 10 Circuits ???. £200+VAT minimum, absolute minimum for that It means it’s taken him all of 4.5 minutes per circuit. Absolute disgrace. Can’t wait to see the report
[automerge]1593887912[/automerge]
Takes me 45 minutes to PAT test 10 items ?

Reply to EICR no RCD given a C2 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net