Discuss EICR Redundant cables in DB, MCB taped over! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

EICR

DB has redundant cables connected to protective devices!
Any reg in the 18th??? Memory recalls (badly) something in GN4

Any more information? Do you mean they are connected to the MCB and are left with live unterminated ends somewhere?

No, as in the op the protective devices have been taped over in the off position.

Yes but that's not a safe way of isolating them. Where are the other ends? What did they previously feed?

Yes but that's not a safe way of isolating them. Where are the other ends? What did they previously feed?
At this point in time, have no idea what they previously fed! No charts, no record drawings.
Apparently a firm came in about 2 years ago and pulled new feeds in to certain areas. But did not take the old wiring out! And left it connected to a MCB taped over in the off position!
Hope that makes it clear

At this point in time, have no idea what they previously fed! No charts, no record drawings.
Apparently a firm came in about 2 years ago and pulled new feeds in to certain areas. But did not take the old wiring out! And left it connected to a MCB taped over in the off position!
Hope that makes it clear

If you know they are unused then can't you remove them from the MCB. And ideally earth them.

Quoting Regs don't make them professional as in general they mean nothing to the client. Up to you how they are Coded though.

I see it more as an C1, as they are connected, and protective devices not locked off.
I produce reg codes on my reports as its a professional report.

You'd have to identify the C1 issue to code that observation surely ? If a C1 is present you should be rectifying it before leaving site. If you haven't identified it due to limitations then it can only really be FI.

Quoting Regs don't make them professional as in general they mean nothing to the client. Up to you how they are Coded though.
Its important to me, as I see myself as a lawyer of the electrical trade.
If people want to produce reports on a piece of cardboard written with a sharpie pen, thats up to them. I'm not trying to allude to anything, just stating facts.
Thanks for your help
[automerge]1594403229[/automerge]
You'd have to identify the C1 issue to code that observation surely ? If a C1 is present you should be rectifying it before leaving site. If you haven't identified it due to limitations then it can only really be FI.
Yes indeed sir! I have disconnected the cables from the protective devices!

Why would it be a C1 even if it was connected?

I have the wiring for a future shower connected in the cu, at the other end local to the future shower placement the wiring is terminated in a mf box ready to use.

The only thing that could ever warrant would be a FI should the person doing the periodic not be bothered to look for the other end.

And yes, on occasion I put a bit of tape across all the off rcbos as if something trips, it's then easy to see which one is in the "wrong" position - more for the convenience of others than mine.

The tape over the mcb doesn't automatically mean it's an attempt at isolation.

Yes they were connected, was looking for a reg.
And not relying on something from GN4
[automerge]1594403835[/automerge]
is everybody here just trying to beat me up? And not actually give any help?
Jeesus

Chill man, I was just trying to establish what the actual issue is. If you've disconnected it there is no issue as you will have left it safely connected to the earth bar.
If it's still connected then you can't possibly code it first without establishing if it is contravening a regulation that impacts on the safety of the installation. If you've not done this then it's FI required.

Reply to EICR Redundant cables in DB, MCB taped over! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net