Discuss EICR Service Head in wardrobe. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The suppliers equipment isn't coded as far as an EICR is concerned... but you can note it cant be examined properly for the relevant section... (An N/V on the report)
You cant visually see if those earth wires are connected to anything.... but continuity testing will

Where's the meter etc?

The suppliers equipment isn't coded as far as an EICR is concerned... but you can note it cant be examined properly for the relevant section... (An N/V on the report)
You cant visually see if those earth wires are connected to anything.... but continuity testing will

Where's the meter etc?
It can be Coded.

Yeh, Westy... as N/V, or LIM as it cant be verified. Like any other hidden cable.

What i should have said was it cant be given a C1,C2 or C3 code... as its hidden.

Any "imrovement recommended" if you did decide C3, would be joinery work, not electrical.

I have a service head in the back of a wardrobe, along with the meter and a couple of s/fuses.
It's all in a cupboard, so all properly accessible, but in the back of a wardrobe nevertheless.
The wardrobe and the walls surrounding it weren't there when the head was fitted, but the plans for all of it were, and WP were told to fit it about 2m to the left, but they fitted it where they wanted anyway.

Thanks.

There's actually about a 10 metre stretch of meter tails surface mounted going straight up from the cut out and across the loft and back down to the board. I've given that a C2. I just wanted to know the code for the service head being inaccessible or vulnerable to damage. I see in my NAPIT guide that there's a code for the service head enclosure being subject to damage C3. Think that applies? The property will be rented out. Seems to me that anything bulky put in that wardrobe like an ironing board for instance could damage it? Kids hiding etc? I've quoted for putting a cabinet in there and running armoured cable instead of the meter tails. Any recommendations for a suitable cabinet? I want to put the meter in there as well which is currently sitting by the C/U.
What do you think of this loft? I went round to quote for the remedial work on an EICR. They hadn't mentioned a single thing up here! Just some BS about a plastic C/U and reverse polarities.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_140710.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220813_132146.jpg
    653.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220813_132223 (1).jpg
    584 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220813_131546 (1).jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220813_133047.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 38
It's just to the top left of the C/U. See it? I'll put it by the cut out in the new meter cabinet. Yeah it's mess. Just need to re terminate all the bad wiring.

Attachments

• IMG_20220813_130246.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220813_131323.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 50
It can be Coded.
With you on this one.

Starter for 10 would be
132.12 Accessibility of electrical equipment
Electrical equipment shall be arranged to provide:
(i) sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of electrical equipment
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.

Chicken and Egg as to what was there first.

I'd also throw in
341.1 An assessment shall be made of the frequency and quality of maintenance the installation can reasonably be expected to receive during its intended life. The person or body responsible for the operation and/or
maintenance of the installation shall be consulted.

I see in my NAPIT guide that there's a code for the service head enclosure being subject to damage C3. Think that applies?

Only you have seen the installation, we are just guessing here.

Is there an immediate danger?
Is there a potential danger?
Is there a safety improvement which could be made?

Any recommendations for a suitable cabinet? I want to put the meter in there as well which is currently sitting by the C/U.

So these are the tails between the cutout and meter then? In which case they don't belong to the customer and you can't touch them.

Only you have seen the installation, we are just guessing here.

Is there an immediate danger?
Is there a potential danger?
Is there a safety improvement which could be made?

So these are the tails between the cutout and meter then? In which case they don't belong to the customer and you can't touch them.
Yeah of course. Your right. I mean someones messed about with it, I'm sure the supplier wouldn't have fitted them that way? Will they agree to change them if they have been messed with? If I code it a C2 where the next port of call. The DNO?

You cant touch the head, the meter or the tails inbetween.

Coding it is one thing, but its the meter operator that has to do the move.
It would be deemed tampering with the equipment.

If your planning to do something of dubious legality it's best not to announce it on a public forum.
Well I'm just being honest. Sometimes I might shift a meter if it's in the way and I pull fuses of course! But yeah I totally overlooked the fact that I can't touch those meter tails. I just want to get things right for the customer but I can see I need to pass on this job until this is fixed.

Yeah of course. Your right. I mean someones messed about with it, I'm sure the supplier wouldn't have fitted them that way? Will they agree to change them if they have been messed with? If I code it a C2 where the next port of call. The DNO?

It will certainly create an interesting situation, the meter operator would be the ones to move it.

But as its a rented property there is a legal duty for the landlord to have C2 items remedied within a relatively short space of time and meter operators don't exactly move quick for this sort of thing.

End result >> My client and I contacted Octopus energy to let them know about the 10m long supply tails. They were difficult to pin down and it was unlikely the C2 code was going to be resolved within the time frame of tenants moving into the house. I decided I would do all the work and in fact we notified Octopus energy ahead of the work that I would move the meter and install a new supply as it was a potentially dangerous situation and needed to be resolved. Didn't hear anything back. Wouldn't make a habit of this I suppose but needs must. What do you think? Wildly reckless? Should I expect any come back?

Attachments

• IMG_20220820_171552 (1).jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220821_113917.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20220821_170741 (1).jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 34

Reply to EICR Service Head in wardrobe. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net