Discuss Electric blinds, mechanical maintenance, isolators BSEN 60204 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
New build domestic which uses external window blinds. Each blind is supplied with L N permanent then switched L for up and another switched L for down. Blinds self limit at extremes. (Thus 4 live conductors). There are 15 blinds, all running back to central "smart home" gear/relays where they can be independently switched.

537.2.1 "Where electrically powered equipment is within scope of BS EN60204, the requirements for switching off for mechanical maintenance of that standard apply".
Same applies to 537.4.1 re emergency switching..

..So does it or doesn't it? (scope BS EN 60204)?

One would fit local 3 pole conventionally to (somewhat less dangerous IMO) extractor fan motors.. so thinking along those lines leads me to believe I may need local isolator for each blind (4 pole).

One remote, (alongside the CU) isolator for the whole lot I can cope with.

But I can't cope with fifteen local 4 pole isolators. - And BS EN 60204 costs about £300.

What's the thoughts here?

Last edited:
Talk about over egging the pudding.

Where would you fit these 4 pole isolators, inside or outside, do they need locking off facilities.

Stop trying to inflate the price by over complicating the job.

Stop trying to inflate the price by over complicating the job.

In fact I spend too long trying to reduce the cost to my customers (case in point here). I just want to cover my obligations (automatic high torque motors, kids, moving parts). Probably talked out of it though, and will rely only on isolator at CU.

Manufacturers info is useless, they say nothing about it.

In fact I spend too long trying to reduce the cost to my customers (case in point here). I just want to cover my obligations (automatic high torque motors, kids, moving parts). Probably talked out of it though, and will rely only on isolator at CU.

The fitting of isolators is for maintenance, not to cover any obligations with regard to "automatic high torque motors, kids, moving parts", and would not cover any obligations wrt safety issues.

There is no requirement in BS EN 60204 for a local isolator.

I would be more interested in what stops these electric blinds if obstructed, the manufacturer/designer of the electromechanical system has an obligation here.

I wouldn't mind knowing this as well.

About 15 years ago there was a little girl killed in my village when she was visiting her grandparents. She was standing behind an electric gate when her grandfather returned home, the gate opened and she was crushed.

If you are fitting equipment make sure it is safe.

High torque? What the hell for? As has been said, slip clutches or torque limiters should be standard equipment.

Probably because they have more experience than you and know what they are talking about.

There's quite a gearbox in them, a minute to furl. And they are heavy duty external blinds. Will be some sort of clutch of course and limit switch.
But on reflection, probably safer than most car windows.
Windows mostly shut: It's a sealed passivhaus.

I'm going with isolation at source and a notice on the windows.

There's quite a gearbox in them, a minute to furl. And they are heavy duty external blinds. Will be some sort of clutch of course and limit switch.
But on reflection, probably safer than most car windows.
Windows mostly shut: It's a sealed passivhaus.

I'm going with isolation at source and a notice on the windows.

Should look nice :)

If you insist then just put a rotary isolator at the board that can be locked off for maintenance purposes but don't be going silly with stickers on windows, if the isolator is marked up then any maintenance can safely isolate without issue, no need to start putting stickers everywhere and try to stick to the BS7671 on this one bringing in machine code regulations to a situe' easy covered by the BS7671 otherwise we be having lockoff devices for macerators, auto blinds/curtains fan assisted ovens etc etc and soon your house will start looking like a jungle of isolators and notices.

Reply to Electric blinds, mechanical maintenance, isolators BSEN 60204 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net