Discuss Electric motor problems on dust extract in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

hawkeyefxr

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, hope i can get a bit of help here.
I have a dust extract in my shed which i use when i am turning. This morning i went to switch it on and it blew the 13A fuse, i replaced it hoping the fuse was at fault which it wasn't, well i had to try.
The motor plate 230v, 13amp, 2 pole, single phase motor. The important bit is not clear as it's either a 15kW ir 1.5kW motor. I will try to upload a picture of the plate at the end of this. There are no capacitors but it has a contactor which is set to 13A and this does not pop out.
I have worked with many motors fault finding, single and three phase and my mind says a definite no the the 15kW rating.
As the motor winds down there is a clink noise at the end where the fan cover is. I removed this and there is sprung loaded bit at the end of the motor shaft, now i'm thinking this may be a retarden type of thing that cars used to have in the distributor but that's just a guess.
Can any one advise please.

View attachment DSC_0204.JPG

It definitely is not 15kw. The part you see at the end sounds like a centrifugal switch is there definitely no capacitor.

It definitely is not 15kw. The part you see at the end sounds like a centrifugal switch is there definitely no capacitor.
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Even from the blurred photo it's 1.5kw not 15kw.
Given it's switch start the most likely fault is the centrifugal switch.

Is the capacitor in the terminal box?

They can serve a few functions on a single phase motor and it is for the purpose of starting and running the motor. For a split phase or capacitor start motor it disconnects the start winding once up to speed. Can you show a bigger pic of it.

Last edited:
If there is definitely no capacitor it is a split-phase motor. Does it run up at all or is the fuse rupture instantaneous.

I made a major faux pas in stating my motor did not have a capacitor, it hidden from plain site, apologies.
Having said that i now think that the capacitor is a run capacitor as the motor starts then blows the fuse. I have checked the capacitor and the wires run into the motor body.
I will take it along to AES rewinds and see what they say.
Thanks for the replies.

Well I had the motor tested and its all OK, pulls 7amp when running. The weight take the start capacitor out when at full speed. I was also told that the motor should be wired into my shed circuit and not run through a plug. I am now making the alterations to do this.

Reply to Electric motor problems on dust extract in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock