Discuss Electric vans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the electric vehicle has been around since the mid 1900's it was another 100+ years before they started to develop the technology further to compete with the internal combustion engine

I understand the point you are making and in today's context that is true, but arguably it was competing from day one. Fully functional electric vehicles were around in the mid 1880s and the first racing vehicle to reach 100km/h was electric. Electric cabs and buses were in commercial use in the first decade of the 20th century, before rapid developments in internal combustion performance and economy overtook those of electric vehicles.

Only 143 miles range? That's not much of an advance over the years. Bedford (ok, how many remember Bedford?) were selling an electric CF back in 1984 with a range of 50-60 miles. Okay, it did take 8-10 hours to charge but just doubling the range in 36 years isn't much of an improvement. If you want to see the Bedford sales brochure follow this LINK

@bigspark17 if your considering a vivaro take a look at the fiat talento.... it's the same van but drastically cheaper, engine and trim vary but it's essentially the same, mate of mine got his for 17k brand new from dealer on 2017.

With the amount of pushing the electric car is getting I am just concerned that our infrastructure will not be able to keep up, no matter how many monstrous wind farms are used to blight the landscape, I understand from a post on here somewhere that Bristol already has a problem.

Just to add insult to injury, Eurotunnel has priority parking and free fuelling points for electric cars, I have asked where I can fill up my conventional car for nothing, hmmm still waiting for an answer.

We will have a serious problem after 2025 when gas is banned from new build houses .

Well the problem could be solved with new power stations to produce more electricity, being a bit of a cynic I wonder if the push for electric everything is a precursor to the Government implementing a push on Nuclear power without too many objections. :eek:

Well the problem could be solved with new power stations to produce more electricity, being a bit of a cynic I wonder if the push for electric everything is a precursor to the Government implementing a push on Nuclear power without too many objections. :eek:

Hope so. We need more nuclear power. I'm all for renewables, but it needs to be in conjucntion with something more consistent.

Please explain how producing more electricity will help (see post #12) when the DNO networks are on the limit now

With the new government initiative, We will all be on pedal power becoming a fit and slender nation.
No more cars required !

On a serious note, I feel we are a long way off in the push to make everyone go down the route of electric vehicle, perhaps in the big cities they may be more common place, But I can't see it anytime soon in the rural areas of the UK

With the new government initiative, We will all be on pedal power becoming a fit and slender nation.
No more cars required !

On a serious note, I feel we are a long way off in the push to make everyone go down the route of electric vehicle, perhaps in the big cities they may be more common place, But I can't see it anytime soon in the rural areas of the UK

I agree, it makes sense for town and city commutes. The cars can cope with the shorter journeys, there are charge points available, and it keeps pollution down in urban areas.

Please explain how producing more electricity will help (see post #12) when the DNO networks are on the limit now
Because the infrastructure will have to be improved along with the increase in power requirements, I can't believe you really are that naive or are you just being obtuse.
[automerge]1596658980[/automerge]
I agree, it makes sense for town and city commutes. The cars can cope with the shorter journeys, there are charge points available, and it keeps pollution down in urban areas.

Surely town and city commuters should be using public transport.

I get the idea but do you think the extra energy harvested from the sun overcomes the extra energy required to overcome air resistance?

Hi I would say the long term answer is a plugin hybrid but not what is being built at the moment it has to have a small diesel or petrol engine maybe under 1L and a electric motor, it needs a range of 30 miles off of the battery and the engine is used for faster travel like motorways and out of town driving, once in town you use the electric, engine also charges the battery and the electric motor is used to help acceleration and going up hills, most pollution can be cut using this system, but you will have to change the way you drive, you can also use waste heat from engine to heat car/van

The Porsche and VW air cooled engines have heat exchangers on the exhaust to heat the cab and always have, so not a new idea, in fact pre the second world war.

The Porsche and VW air cooled engines have heat exchangers on the exhaust to heat the cab and always have, so not a new idea, in fact pre the second world war.
The engine could still be water cooled, something like a mini-digger engine driving a auto box, with inputs from that and electric motor, revs of engine change very slowly add blue and partical filter on exhaust, I have been told that the latest diesels exhaust gasses are cleaner that what it breathes in in some cities, not sure how true that is but here is a link Can diesel engines CLEAN urban air? | Motoring Research - https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-news/can-diesel-engines-clean-urban-air

EV development is hardly in the early stages, development has been ongoing since the 1970's with range still being one of the biggest issues to overcome along with battery longevity
I think that for most people (not everyone, before someone screams at me), range is now acceptable. 100 miles a day for a jobbing house bashing sparky is plenty for most. But I can see that for maybe a maintenance guy, that spends most of his time on the road rather than on a site, it might not be for him. A fast charger can give you 80% capacity while you're eating your lunch though...

Next you will be telling us that the manufacturers statement "Self charging Hybrids" is not an oxymoron, the hyperbole message given by that statement is beyond belief, 100miles is not enough to sustain any kind of realistic life style in a modern age, we are not there yet, but the Kia with it's 250mile range is certainly getting close.

The problem is probably 80% of cars do less than 100miles a day on average.
15,000 miles a year is only 40miles a day.
As a population, we are not ready to accept that our dalily run about is unable to take us on the family holiday of 200miles each way without spending 2 x 1 hour charge breaks in the journey.
Most people would save enough by running a cheep electric car day to day, to hire a gas burner for the 2 week holiday but we are not good at compromising our convenience for the environment.

Reply to Electric vans in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net