Discuss Electric vans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I live in Kent and have a rod on the Avon in Hampshire it's a 300mile round trip, my other house is in the South West of France and that's a one way trip of 713miles, there is no way an Electric car could work for me, despite all the wind farms and hyperbole given out by the media, the cables aren't long enough. :innocent:

I live in Kent and have a rod on the Avon in Hampshire it's a 300mile round trip, my other house is in the South West of France and that's a one way trip of 713miles, there is no way an Electric car could work for me, despite all the wind farms and hyperbole given out by the media, the cables aren't long enough. :innocent:

Having a 2nd house in the South of France is hardly typical ffs.

You may say that but I have a customer with a Tesla and he has used it to come down here which is about the same distance, he says it charges in about an hour but this time he had bikes on the roof and car full and was only getting 150 miles between charges instead of nearly 300 miles. Is he green? uses more heating oil to keep the chill off his second home than diesel I use in my van all year

A fast charger can give you 80% capacity while you're eating your lunch though...
The problem is that the type of battery fitted to the vehicle generally dictates what level of charge the vehicle can accept and therefore how long it will take to get back to any decent capacity
If you look around the network of public chargers most are 3 - 7 Kw which will hardly give a fast charge, ok Tesla seem to have charging stations in most service areas which can deliver a fast charge but my understanding is they only support their vehicles
About 6 months ago they were showing a fast charger that could recharge a vehicle in around 10mins the problem was there was only one vehicle at that time on the market that could charge at this rate with a couple more coming to market over the next few months. The other side of fast charging is the electrical supplies needed with one charger needing something in the order of a 300A 3 phase supply

The problem is probably 80% of cars do less than 100miles a day on average.
15,000 miles a year is only 40miles a day.
The vast majority of my journeys are under 80 miles, and typical day just now is around 2 * 15 miles.

As a population, we are not ready to accept that our dally run about is unable to take us on the family holiday of 200miles each way without spending 2 x 1 hour charge breaks in the journey.
In my case, and for a large proportion of the population, the fundamental hold up is no charging point. And as I live in a block of flats without designated parking (just in street outside, wherever you can find as space) I could not even have a charger fitted and expect to be able to use it. Even for cases like my sister in a terraced house, there is no guarantee that you can get parked outside of your home as most fsckers these days have 2 (or even 3) cars per family household. And then we get in to folk in rented properties...

So short of some massive central expense to fit on-street chargers that bill whoever uses them, an electric car is unsuitable for probably half the population.
[automerge]1596880620[/automerge]
Also I just wondered, would I even be allowed to fit a charger in a public road? Most folk would do so in their own drive way I guess.

I should think that eventually they will be fitted to parking meters/Lamp posts and you pay on a Credit Card.
Yes, with 5 car spacing between lampposts! (OK 2 cars might be able to use each one, if sensibly parked)

It would go a long way to help, the the big cost is not the end point upgrades, it is the massive cable infrastructure refresh needed for feeding 5-10kW per lamppost instead of ~100W

And the required civil works on the roads/pavements laying power cables seems to me will nullify the point of electric cars being green, and let's not forget the diggers will be diesel powered as are the machines that put up wind farms? :rolleyes:

A Tesla passed me on the motorway yesterday - not exactly a typical sight in NI.

It occured to me that EVs are probably well suited to this country as there's nowhere you could go that doesn't fall within the vehicle's range - at least not without leaving the country or driving into the sea.

The other thing is where is all money lost on fuel tax going to come from?
Once EV's are the norm the preferential treatment they get now will be removed and they will get taxed
When they tried to introduce CNG vehicles you could get a home filling point it had a separate meter so HMRC could charge the VAT on the vehicle fuel at 20% instead of the normal 5% domestic use VAT
EV's will be on the HMRC radar at some time in the future without a doubt but at the moment it is a fragile industry that is being IMO nurtured for a future revenue stream
With regard to the CNG VAT charges, I never looked into the costs of charging an EV at a service station or other public charging point as to what VAT rate is charged on the electricity used as they are commercial I assume it is 20%, will we have to get a separate home meter for home EV charging in the future so 20% VAT can be charged the same as vehicle fuel currently

A Tesla passed me on the motorway yesterday - not exactly a typical sight in NI.

It occured to me that EVs are probably well suited to this country as there's nowhere you could go that doesn't fall within the vehicle's range - at least not without leaving the country or driving into the sea.
You know that Tesla is mulling over the idea of setting up a factory in Derry. In the old Ballykelly Army Barracks

They were originally going to set up in Germany, but the site is too small and they wanted to clear some forest but the Green Party over there won't allow them.

They were also looking to build in Bristol but they are uneasy about Brexit so the idea of Derry, being half in and half out of the EU is appealing

What I have never seen published (not that I have looked) is the mile/Kw cost compared against mpg of course it depends if you have solar power to call upon or you take your power straight off the grid, my buddy with the new electric Kia put 4Kw of panels on his house at the beginning of the high tariff being available, he gets somewhere in the region of £1200.00/pa back from the national grid, but runs his car and pool heating from the provider, I should have listened to him when he first mooted putting them up.
[automerge]1596887506[/automerge]
I'm waiting for hydrogen to break through

I get that with Currys Indian type not high street. :eek:

Last edited:
You know that Tesla is mulling over the idea of setting up a factory in Derry. In the old Ballykelly Army Barracks

They were originally going to set up in Germany, but the site is too small and they wanted to clear some forest but the Green Party over there won't allow them.

They were also looking to build in Bristol but they are uneasy about Brexit so the idea of Derry, being half in and half out of the EU is appealing

Hadn't heard this, but certainly would be good for the area - manufacturing set up on the basis of a sound business case (instead of subsidies) would likely lead to long term employment, rather than rounds of redundencies when free money stops flowing.

I suspect much of the revenue would flow to ROI, due to their more appealing corporate tax rules, but I don't think anyone would object if jobs were created for the north west.

Last edited:
What I have never seen published (not that I have looked) is the mile/Kw cost compared against mpg of course it depends if you have solar power to call upon or you take your power straight off the grid, my buddy with the new electric Kia put 4Kw of panels on his house at the beginning of the high tariff being available, he gets somewhere in the region of £1200.00/pa back from the national grid, but runs his car and pool heating from the provider, I should have listened to him when he first mooted putting them up.
[automerge]1596887506[/automerge]

I get that with Currys Indian type not high street. :eek:
It cost about 4p per mile charged at home against 11p for 50mpg car, but as tax is 2/3 on diesel and 5% on electric if you adjusted for that price would be about the same,

Interesting Ian, at what sort of range are we talking about, electric car milage seems to be very optimistic and not real world, but diesel cars have been around long enough that we all know our true milage with our individual driving styles, I wonder what the Kw charge will eventually be at the road side and not at home?

Reply to Electric vans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock