Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Electric vans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

bigspark17

-
Arms
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Any body have or thinking about getting an electric van?

im considering the vivaro e. The 50kw battery will do 143 miles which is more than enough for me. With the goverment grant of 20% off zero emmisions vans up to £8000 its coming out at onlu a few grand more than a new vivaro diesel. British made and also a good usefor the BBL. any views?

Aico 3000
Bob Geldoff1234

Bob Geldoff1234

-
Esteemed
Arms
What sort of price are we talking? so how much is the Vivaro electric after the grant and how much is a diesel one?
I have just test drove a Ford Kuga plug in hybrid on a 24 hour test drive and was very impressed so would consider something like the Vivaro.

bigspark17

bigspark17

-
Arms
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Roughly diesel start at around £25k
Electric start £36 with a grant of 20% brings it under £29k. Obviously before any extras.

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Arms
Have a look at leasing rather than buying, may be a better option.

U

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Any body have or thinking about getting an electric van?

im considering the vivaro e. The 50kw battery will do 143 miles which is more than enough for me. With the goverment grant of 20% off zero emmisions vans up to £8000 its coming out at onlu a few grand more than a new vivaro diesel. British made and also a good usefor the BBL. any views?
Is the 143 miles real world use or the maximum expected under perfect ideal world conditions
Finding out that the range drops to less than half that when fully loaded driving into a headwind while it's raining and -5ͦc outside after you have bought it could be an expensive mistake
I think I would want a demonstrator vehicle on loan for a few days or even a week to test if it is a viable choice before jumping in and buying one.

ian.settle1

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
Does the 143 miles also take into account during the winter when you will have the heater on full, wipers going etc

Matthewd29

Matthewd29

-
Esteemed
Arms
I wouldn't even consider purchasing one due to the mileage. Is that figure real world driving also?

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Arms
Buddy of mine has just changed his electric Toyota to a Kia, this is purported to achieve 250miles on one charge?

The Toyota was supposed to achieve 120miles, but in reality only 80.

P

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
The 50kw battery will do 143 miles which is more than enough for me.
What is your typical daily mileage? As other have said you could fine the marketing figure is almost double the real-world results.

Generally electrics do will in built up areas as a lot of the braking is regenerative (not just heating the disks) and you are not battling wind resistance at motorway speeds. But things like heating / demisting / air-con (if fitted!) etc will soak up quite a bit.

Eventually a lot of sites will have charging options, but given a lot of sites you visit for work might well be under construction you can't depend on that!

I live in a Victorian era block of flats (4+4 with common entrance) and sod-all chance of charging in the street so for me it is a total no-go for the foreseeable future.

Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson

-
Esteemed
Arms
With the amount of pushing the electric car is getting I am just concerned that our infrastructure will not be able to keep up, no matter how many monstrous wind farms are used to blight the landscape, I understand from a post on here somewhere that Bristol already has a problem.

Just to add insult to injury, Eurotunnel has priority parking and free fuelling points for electric cars, I have asked where I can fill up my conventional car for nothing, hmmm still waiting for an answer.

nicebutdim

nicebutdim

-
What I can not reconcile, and none of the experts seem keen to address, is the horrendous cost that would be associated with battery replacement. I imagine the protection circuitry will allow for individual cells coming to the end of their life, but at some point batteries will need to be replaced and I can not help seeing this as rendering EVs beyond economical repair - as such there is likely to be a collapse in resale values of EVs over a certain age.

To be fair to Tesla, they do seem to take this into account and seem keen to rent or lease vehicles, with the manufacturer retaining ownership and therefore responsibility for the battery.

While there will be an economic argument for many EV owners - no congestion charge etc - for many others an EV may well become something of a burden after several years of ownership. With the resourses required for their production and legacy issues likely to stem from short battery/vehicle lifespan, I can not help thinking that we'll soon look back at EVs as a horrendous mistake and ask why so much money was thrown at them, to the detriment of more realistic technologies.

U

UNG

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
With the amount of pushing the electric car is getting I am just concerned that our infrastructure will not be able to keep up, no matter how many monstrous wind farms are used to blight the landscape, I understand from a post on here somewhere that Bristol already has a problem.

Just to add insult to injury, Eurotunnel has priority parking and free fuelling points for electric cars, I have asked where I can fill up my conventional car for nothing, hmmm still waiting for an answer.
The biggest infrastructure problem is the DNO cables in the ground. Without a major network upgrade I don't see how it can stand a massive increase in load that EV charging will present. Most of the network was installed between the 1930's and 50's and is mainly 16mm² and 25mm² 4c cable, it's interesting looking at the DNO network plans to see how many properties are served off one 16mm² cable along a street and diversity if you can call it that is certainly pushed beyond limits and EV charging will probably be the straw that breaks it's back

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Reply to Electric vans in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Get paid faster with card payments | Go Paper Free - Save Hours | Offer Finance to Customers
Top Bottom