Discuss Electric Vehicle Charging Points!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DurhamSparky

trying to source a product for a customer

1) where can i find them (searched google and usual spots , trying wholesaler tomorrow)
2) how much do they cost
3) are they standard fittings??

Got a feeling you have to TT the charging point, even if customer has PME to their house (assuming this is a domestic and not commercial customer). I have the relevant COP but not read through it yet.

just had a laugh at this comment on the POD site

The premium range includes features like charge scheduling, in-built meter and screen. The 32A model offers all the features of its 16A cousin, but is capable of charging an EV twice as fast. Note that most cars currently on the market are only able to charge at 16A – in which case the 32A model won’t charge your car any faster. The reason we offer a 32A model is simply for people who want a more future proof solution – when the next generation of EVs arrive with 32A charging, you’ll be prepared!

hmmm apparently im not allowed to fit them lol

The POD Point can be installed by any approved NIC EIC electrician and
uses industry-standard mechanical fittings and electrical connections

has anyone actually seen a car plugged into one of these,there all over good parking spots too...was thinking of making a flying lead into a jb,sling it it the back of the van,no one would know,free parking:drunk:

Bloody expensive female plug top and lead if you ask me!! Why not get hold of the suitable plug top, and make your own point. Can't see anything in the basic pod to stop you doing that... This looks nothing, but a glorified plug and lead that these robbers want 475 quid for, ...Stuff that!! lol!!

Any of you seen the Top Gear episode that suggested a new version of knock-a-door-run. Unplug the neighbour’s electric car and run.

OK I’m an evil barsteward!

Ok I'm looking at developing this side of my business so I have educated myself on it, a car can, as E54 says be charged of a plug top, however a 13a outlet will take around 16-20 hrs to charge a vehicle, a 32a dedicated charging point will take some 7hrs and the 120a 3ph will take 1 hr to charge.

There are some longevity concerns regarding the plates in the battery buckling in relation to 3ph charging hence some of the reports, however the future IS 1hr interim charging if electric vehicles are ever going to be fit for purpose.

Most houses will also need dedicated circuits for vehicle charging points, probably supplied by SWA as the charging point should NOT be RCD. Protected as the control gear inside the on board inverter inside the cars are prone to causing nuisance tripping. Hence charging off a plug top is not ideal.

I didn't suggest using a 13A plug extension!! What i was suggesting, is following the manufacturers advise, re, dedicated circuit to a switched isolator, buying the female outlet that seems to be a special, and providing your own extension lead of the appropriate CSA size. Got to be far cheaper than the 470 odd quid these robber want...lol!!!

EDIT.... The supply point ''needs'' to be a plug top, as any electric car/vehicle, will not only be using the charging point at home but also at public charging points. The means of charging needs then to be common one. The only way that's convienient for all charging points is via a standard style charging plug top.... Unless i'm missing something??

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Electric Vehicle Charging Points!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock