Discuss Electric velux window in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have 2 velux windows to connect up & each one has a flex with a plug top so straight forward enough, only problem is there's no attic space above otherwise I'd fit a socket & plug them straight into it, they don't want a switch on the ceiling or wall either. My thought was to run a 2.5t+e between them back to a socket in the far away attic space. This would mean cutting the plugs off them & putting them both through straight connection plates. Thought this would be better rather than fitting the sockets in the ceiling void & sheeting over them. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Hi I'm looking for a bit of advice. I have 2 velux windows to connect up & each one has a flex with a plug top so straight forward enough, only problem is there's no attic space above otherwise I'd fit a socket & plug them straight into it, they don't want a switch on the ceiling or wall either. My thought was to run a 2.5t+e between them back to a socket in the far away attic space. This would mean cutting the plugs off them & putting them both through straight connection plates. Thought this would be better rather than fitting the sockets in the ceiling void & sheeting over them. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance

I have four in my house and I wired them to fcu's from a ring main.

Arrgh moulded plugs. First off ask Velux, I did and they said cutting off their plug tops would void their warranty, I can feel davesparks alarm bells sounding now.

Last edited:
Arrgh moulded plugs. First off ask Velux, I did and they said cutting off their plug tops would void their warranty, I can feel davesparks alarm bells sounding now.

I step in on his behalf lol.. regardless of what velux say you cannot invalidate the warranty by removing a moulding plug to better suit the installation methods, as long as your method is still protected by the same rated plugtop fuse it had before (if it came with a standard 13amp plug) and you have made a suitable connection. If the window ever developes a fault then as long as you show the electrics were connected correctly and you have the cert's to show it was fitted installed and tested by an Electrician then they cannot remove the warranty, this is the same with many products like washers, dryers, fridges when you may need to remove the moulded plug to pass the flex through the unit top. The warranty is only void if it is found that any substandard connection or replacement plug etc was found to be a contribution to the product failure.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll go with what I was thinking then. Moulded plugs are a nightmare and I've cut them off before in kitchen installations for integrated appliances so it must be ok to suit the installation method.
cheers

Won't bore you with our argument.

Remember your joint to the Velux cable must 'maintenance free', if it's inaccessible. Did consider replacing Velux flex with a slightly longer one, but that was ruled out by Velux. My customer decided on using the supplied flex & plug top, and fit small circular access panels.

Thanks in advance

Tell me you weren't considering boarding over a plug and socket?? Daz

I ve recently wired in some velux windows, I wasn't sure about the plug top either so I gave them a ring and they said I CAN cut them off. I put S/FCU's in the sceiling next to Windows, you don't really notice them and it provides local isolation.

sam

I ve recently wired in some velux windows, I wasn't sure about the plug top either so I gave them a ring and they said I CAN cut them off. I put S/FCU's in the sceiling next to Windows, you don't really notice them and it provides local isolation.

sam
Huh! Left hand right hand.

Is there any documentation anywhere on the net that's official do to speak with regards to chopping plugs off? I often have this with customers, I say to them it's fine and some get funny.

maybe if I could show them something slightly more official it would be good,

uksparks, we've had this debate a few times, me being on the side of 'keep the plug'! My argument is based on my own anecdotal evidence of various products where it categorically states do not cut off the moulded plug e.g. a Sony Lcd tv and this example. Others will say the manufactures have no right in civil law to void a warranty, when a plug has been replaced by a qualified electrician or technician. As in this example, we do seem to get conflicting statements from manufactures.

I guess you will only know for sure, when you make a claim under their warranty. Guess some legal experts could devote a whole conference to the subject!

Utter rubbish. What happens if the plug gets damaged? You'd throw the nice 50" smart tv in the bin? Daz

Nope, you purchase a nice new lead with moulded plug attached, available as an accessory from their on-line store.

Many appliances with moulded plugs have captive mains leads. Daz

Reply to Electric velux window in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock