Discuss Electrical ceiling rose move ahead of plasterer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dim spark

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have a plasterer coming overboard and skim a ceiling and I gather it is not good form to board around a rose, so ...

Would it be best to unscrew the rose and just knock through to the loft and push it through and board over the lot?

Then I can just reposition the wiring afterwards. (It needs centering anyway in the room.)

There is not enough slack in the cables (three twin & earth) to pull them.down and through into the room.

Thanks.

If it’s got an attic above, then perfect to remove rose, put all into a joint box above the ceiling, then run a new cable from jb to new light position when plasterings done.

Obviously I can’t comment on your capabilities, but remember to turn the power off. 3 t&e suggests a looped live, So from assumptions- the 3 reds in the centre will be live even if switch is off.
Take a photo of the rose connections and post here. We can tell you what is what.

If it’s got an attic above, then perfect to remove rose, put all into a joint box above the ceiling, then run a new cable from jb to new light position when plasterings done.

Obviously I can’t comment on your capabilities, but remember to turn the power off. 3 t&e suggests a looped live, So from assumptions- the 3 reds in the centre will be live even if switch is off.
Take a photo of the rose connections and post here. We can tell you what is what.
Brilliant. Thanks.

I will but am up a ladder now (well not this second) & on with boarding so will do later to get back to you.

I will have to just push the rose up.for now (isolating the live / neutral in a block of course) and get a jnct box to follow.

Thanks again.

Hi Little, Dim here:

have attached a pic (not a lot of use tbh as it's all tucked in and behind really) but there for ref.

More useful, I hope, I have scribbled a diagram of it now and how I propose to resolve it using a wago box and connectors. So I'd be hugely grateful if you could mark my home work before I crack on. Thanks in advance.

PXL_20210203_115131095.jpg

PXL_20210204_142719396.jpg

PXL_20210204_142733116.jpg

before disconnecting, mark the single red that goes into L with a bit of tape. then you know that that one is the switched L.

Looks like a twin red for the switch drop so should be obvious.
Hi Little, Dim here:

have attached a pic (not a lot of use tbh as it's all tucked in and behind really) but there for ref.

More useful, I hope, I have scribbled a diagram of it now and how I propose to resolve it using a wago box and connectors. So I'd be hugely grateful if you could mark my home work before I crack on. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 64409

View attachment 64411

View attachment 64412
So guys (&gals) - as a double check, do the diagrams above look to be correct to crack on?

Also, I'll need some additional t&e to run along and down through the ceiling to the fitting. Is it 1.5m that I need please?

Reply to Electrical ceiling rose move ahead of plasterer? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net