Discuss Electrical certificate for portable toilet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Interesting situation has come up.

I have a client who rents out portable toilets - higher end ones with proper flushing toilets/urinals that are used for receptions, events etc.

They are basically built on a trailer, with plastic walls and metal reinforcing.

I've been asked to do a certificate for one, and did the testing today...

They are all on a fairly standard setup - a central services area, with CU - (RCD protection), feeding a socket, water heater, pump and lighting only in the gents/ladies toilet parts, which have 1-2 cubicles each.

The issue is that these are hired out and connected to the renter's supply by a standard caravan lead, but usually with a 13A plug on the end.

So clearly supply characteristics, etc are totally down to where they are connected.

I've done dead testing and was able to supply power briefly to test RCD are functional.

My plan is to do an EICR with relevant LIMS on live testing and supply.

Two issues occur to me though.

1. A lot of these end up being rented for 1-2 days for wedding receptions, etc, at domestic properties...

it's clearly not practical to do a full test each time it is 'installed' (i.e. plugged in) - but if it were to be plugged into a property with no earthing, then it's possible that Ze would be too high even for an RCD to provide sufficient protection...

2. Where would this fall under the regulations in terms of requirements?

This article seems to suggest that it's a special location, that an EIC should be carried out each time it's connected, and that it should not be connected to a PME supply. However, given that these are being mostly hired to non-commercial properties, that's not going to be easy to achieve/test.

It did cross my mind that when installed, there are metal guardrails/steps to each toilet, which are of course usually in nice contact with lots of ground.

As they currently are set up, there is no earth rod connection, or indeed bonding of the metalwork (though it's not structural on the upper part at least, just reinforcing), but I'm not sure that bonding everything in site would make things any better safety wise..

Any thoughts from people more experienced with this sort of thing?

I'm thinking of suggesting a simple check list which the client can complete on each installation (basically, check RCD test buttons work, ensure no damage to accessories...) - and perhaps ensure there is a clause in his terms and conditions that the hirer ensures their electricity supply is compliant with BS7671 in terms of earthing...

Not sure how to deal with the PME issue though, given that these will undoubtedly be sometimes plugged into PME supplies...

Dealt with this situation many times. All you can do is test the unit itself and walk away. It’s no different to PAT on an appliance that then gets plugged into some random energy source with reverse polarity and no Earth, running at 60Hz - you’ve done all you can do.

In addition to @Rockingit advice, could the hire place at least use (or advise that) a decent 13A socket tester is used to check any outlet before plugging it in?

Realistically there is nothing you can do about PME: most locations in the UK will be on it and nobody outside of the likes of these forums has a clue what it is or the implications of it.

Our own hired toilet has a water heater (luxury!) with a FCU in it and the test button for that actually diverts current to the CPC to check it fires, as it also trips out the upstream RCDs!

In addition to @Rockingit advice, could the hire place at least use (or advise that) a decent 13A socket tester is used to check any outlet before plugging it in?

Realistically there is nothing you can do about PME: most locations in the UK will be on it and nobody outside of the likes of these forums has a clue what it is or the implications of it.

Our own hired toilet has a water heater (luxury!) with a FCU in it and the test button for that actually diverts current to the CPC to check it fires, as it also trips out the upstream RCDs!
Yes, I was thinking maybe suggesting one of the decent socket testers which checks a suitably low Zs could be plugged in before connection.

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions.

I suppose I should probably be grateful that there isn't a BS number specifically for portable toilets yet....

I'd guess that some sort of unit with PEN loss detection (like some car chargers have now apparently) could be the way forward if they ever come to market at a suitable cost/size to be installed in a normal CU.

the NIC used to do a specific test sheet for portable units like this but they did away with it, I'll see if I have a copy anywhere.

Edit: I've found a copy online you might want to take a look at.

Attachments

• NIC Tpt EICR.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
just do the EIC on bog roll. any follow ups can reel a bit more off the roll. you then have a rolling record. ??

Technically this would fall under a BS7909 situation anyway

Reply to Electrical certificate for portable toilet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net