Discuss Electrical supply advice and other queries in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been asked to install some AC 3 phase units totalling 362amps. This is only the power required for the ac units and not the ancillary things. Is lights, sockets and other things,,). Since my experience is very limited I'm anything above three phase 100amps, I would be grateful for some advice.

My questions are as follows:
What type of supply would I need, apparently above 200amps, I have to have a transformer dedicated transformer. Is this correct.

The supply side sizes. 200 400 600 1000 or can I decide the supply I need.

Is there anything like Diversity I have to factor in or discrimination.

Thank you got your time
All advice will be appreciated

Are you in Birmingham, uk?

You might be able to get a big enough supply at 400v for your requirements but first we need to find out what you actually require.

You need to determine the exact supply requirements, and then approach the dno for a new/upgrade supply.

At that rating they will likely have questions such as peak current (is it a big motor - with substantial starting current, or is it a large accumulation of small loads with negligible increase when energised etc).

They will then provide a cost, which may be just a new feed cable, or a complete circuit depending upon their capacity at that point.

In an industrial/commercial setting that isn't a big demand, but is outwith that.

This is for the uk?

For really big loads ( or somewhat smaller in remote locations), it is normal to connect at 11kV, in which case you can use private companies to install, doesn't have to be the dno.

In saying that, this looks far to small to bother with that sort of contestable type work

Hello all. I have been asked to install some AC 3 phase units totalling 362amps. This is only the power required for the ac units and not the ancillary things. Is lights, sockets and other things,,). Since my experience is very limited I'm anything above three phase 100amps, I would be grateful for some advice.

My questions are as follows:
What type of supply would I need, apparently above 200amps, I have to have a transformer dedicated transformer. Is this correct.

The supply side sizes. 200 400 600 1000 or can I decide the supply I need.

Is there anything like Diversity I have to factor in or discrimination.

Thank you got your time
All advice will be appreciated
You will need a new transformer. The existing 3x100 35mmsq feeding the cut outs are far too small. The DNO will require your maximum demand. As there are motors, extra allowance will need to be made. Only you know the answer to that. Come back to us and I/we will calculate for you.
Regards, UKPN⚡

Reply to Electrical supply advice and other queries in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net