Discuss Electrician wanted American voltage Kent UK in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have a 5th wheel caravan. It has had a transformer fitted for UK electrics. The air con, microwave and fridge freezer have stopped working because they run off the lower voltage US electric box.
I need an electrician who understands the American electrical system.
The caravan is in Kent.
Any advice would be very appreciated.

Have you checked the breakers?
there may be one hidden somewhere you don’t know about.

I would happily look at it for you but I am in coventry and very busy, you would have to come to me.

Have you checked the breakers?
there may be one hidden somewhere you don’t know about.

I would happily look at it for you but I am in coventry and very busy, you would have to come to me.
Hi James.Thanks for replying and sorry my late reply.
I changed the breakers and checked with a volt meter they worked.
I changed the transformer and still no joy.
The old transformer comes on for about 2 seconds and then goes off.
I had turned the power off of all that runs off 120v I think.
I have attached a picture of whats next to the transformer. Could that have anything to do with it?
Appreciate any advice.

Electrician wanted American voltage Kent UK 20220714_131437 - EletriciansForums.netElectrician wanted American voltage Kent UK 20220714_131428 - EletriciansForums.net

I have a 5th wheel caravan. It has had a transformer fitted for UK electrics. The air con, microwave and fridge freezer have stopped working because they run off the lower voltage US electric box.
I need an electrician who understands the American electrical system.
The caravan is in Kent.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
All of what you've listed may well not enjoy working at 50Hz rather than 60Hz, especially aircon and fridges. Unless you intend to extensively take this trailer back to North America, which I guess is unlikely, my advice (as someone who works with U.S. systems all the time) is that your best option is to replace with 230v European - it will almost certainly be cheaper even before it becomes more reliable.

Reply to Electrician wanted American voltage Kent UK in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock