Discuss Electricity supply to garage in block in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dfghjk

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I need advise. I like to supply electricity to my garage en block for fridge and freezer. Garage is about 50 yards away from my garden. My neighbour has no objection is I pass wire alongside fence wall using a steel post. The wire will stay within my and neighbours boundary wall and not towards public use side of garages. A qualified electrician will do the job. I like to know through forum if I need to contact local permission to carry this electricity extension from my house to my garden then through my neighbours garden to garage. Thanks
sk

First, I'm not a lawyer.

Unless this is council housing, or the garages are council owned and rented out, then you won't need their permission. If the houses or garages are privately rented you'll probably need the permission of the landlord. If you and your neighbours are owners then nobody needs permission.

The work is notifiable with respect to Building Regulations, but as long as the electrician you use is registered that won't be a concern.

Be aware that if your neighbour sells then the new owner could ask you to remove the cable, or pay him to use his garden and/or his fence.

Thanks all for replying to my query. The houses are free hold and not council and rented. Electrician is ok to carry work following building regulations. Thanks for pointing things like speak further with neighbour in case a new owner becomes my neighbour. Will check that.

What, you need to speak to them and ask them before you start working on council or other.
TBH I'm not sure what you mean.

The OP asked if he needs to "contact local permission", which I interpreted as meaning permission from the local council. I may well have been totally wrong.

But I was pointing out that unless the council own the properties, no permission from them is needed.

I mate of mine has a similar scenario, he wanted power in his garage which was part of a small block and 100m away from his house, The run would have had to go across his garden fence and 2 others. The others seemed happy enough with it at first but soon started to change their minds.

In the end we hired a mini digger and buried SWA cable from his house all the way to his garage, lucky enough the access driveway to the garages is by the side of his house and is part-owned by him so it was easy to get permission to dig it all up.

The mini digger (and a line search / search before you dig) made light work of digging and filling the trench and now you cannot tell where the cable is or how the power gets to his garage, so if the houses or garages close to him are sold there can't be any complaints from the new owners

If it was me I would have the cable buried out of sight and mind to avoid any problems in the future of new owners or if people change there minds. Of course in your case this could be more complicated if the land between your house and the garage is owned by others or the council

Reply to Electricity supply to garage in block in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net