Discuss element on dimplex asp20 heater cutting out in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

coalminers crufties

hello all!

i have a dimplex aspen asp20 heater that isn't working properly!

the light, flame effect, and fan all works fine, but when the element (or both elements) is turned on, it cuts out after about ten to twenty seconds, and can't be switched on again until it is powered off for ten minutes. and then the same thing happens again.

the manual https://www.fireplacesaver.co.uk/tech_specs/asp20_aspen_instructions_issue_1.pdf

mentions a safety cut out feature and this sounds like the what is causing the problem, but i'm not certain. i was quoted about £53 for an element assembly which includes safety cut-outs. i just wondered if someone can tell me if this is likely to fix the issue?

and also if this is something i can fit myself? (reasonably competent, not a total idiot)

thanks!

It sounds like a safety device may be tripping and not resetting until it is powered off.

This could be either because it is genuinely overheating or because the safety device has deteriorated and is falsely triggering during normal operation.

I'd start by isolating the heater and checking inside it for any obvious signs of overheating.
Also check that it is clean inside, nothing is preventing airflow through the heater, no build up of fluff etc in the vents.

thanks dave! took your advice, took it apart, hoovered all the dust etc out, put it back together, it now works fine!

interestingly, when it was in it's non working state, when the heater was switched on, the fan didn't spin, and the elements lit up orange, and it would trip off after about ten seconds. now that it's actually working, the fan spins up, but the element does not glow, yet it pumps lots of heat out. so the problem was either a) as the fan was not working or being obstructed somehow, too much power was going to the elements, making them overheat or b) the fan also cools down the elements and prevents them overheating...?

anyway, you have saved me £50 and i now know how they create that artificial flame effect! nice work :)

Reply to element on dimplex asp20 heater cutting out in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock